i want to remove glow plugs and controller

downunder

Sep 10, 2010
I live in Sydney Australia and don't have a need for glow plugs as it never gets down to freezing point.
Can I remove glow plugs and controller?
Will any lights come up on my dash?
Does anyone make billet glow plug delete sticks?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Ansd yes you will get a check engine light once you remove them. You can use EFILIVE to disable the codes so you don't get the check engine light.

downunder

Sep 10, 2010
Is efilive the only way to disable the codes for the check engine light, once glow plug system has been removed?
I am ordering plugs from SoCal diesel.

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
I deleted my GPCM and the truck started and ran, but like others before me I ended up putting the controller back in (2007 LBZ). I did delete the glow plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneal
Last year when I deleted my glow plugs I also deleted the glow plug controller. It will run without it, but for reasons that I can't remember I put the controller back on, the little I do remember was I could never get a good log with the controller deleted.

probably because it contains the 120ohm terminator for the HS GMLAN bus...

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
We have the Chevelle running without any of the above fine. At first there were a few codes that caused hard starts, crazy idle, and no throttle. but once they were deleted all is good.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I deleted my glow plugs when I did my injectors. removed power wires, the control box and left the glow plugs in place.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I have no clue?? I turned off all the glow plug tests in the tune and never had an issue since lol. the start/run tables are all zero.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Like what was stated earlier the '06 and newer trucks have the GMLAN data circuits running through the glow plug control module. It also houses the terminating resistor in it. Remove that and you get no communication on the high speed data circuits if I remember correctly.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Brian how did you get it to run without the control box? When I pulled mine after the motor build it would go into reduce power mode until I put the box back in. :confused:

Maybe you have a california emissions truck?

The LB7 cali trucks had a more advanced "smart" glow plug system than the federal emissions trucks. Not as smart as the LLY+ system, but it was more than just a couple basic relays like the federal LB7's.

It shouldnt have gone into reduced engine power though. Are you sure the REP problem was directly related to the glow plug module being removed? Ive never heard of that causing those sort of problems, especially on LB7's that have a very "basic" "old-school" glow plug system in comparison to the fully-solid-state/computerized glow plug control of the LLY+ duramax's.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
If you remove the gpcm on a canbus system as in gmlan, than the tan and the tan and white hi and lo can circuits needs tied together witha 120 ohm resistor.
When you measure resisance at the dlc it should be 60 ohms as 2 120 ohm resistors in parrelell circuit will be half.

That doesn't mean you won't have ghost nocomm with gpcm codes in systems especially lmm.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Like what was stated earlier the '06 and newer trucks have the GMLAN data circuits running through the glow plug control module. It also houses the terminating resistor in it. Remove that and you get no communication on the high speed data circuits if I remember correctly.

04-05 LLY's also have high-speed databus running between the ECM and GPCM too.

Its not "GMLAN", its J1939 high-speed CAN. Very similar, just different protocol. Still a high-speed databus, so the 04-05 LLY glow plug controller is just as "smart" and "integrated" as the 06+ GPCM.

ben