Question: HP tuners

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
My experience with HPT on my duramax was terrible, I use it for my Silvy SS ok ish. On my LLY it was impossible to load a tune at high speed and normal speed takes 10-15 minutes if I was lucky enough to have the tune load and not fail. All the new HP Tuner cables come with the 2.2.3 beta software which is awful on anything. My understanding is that you can't go back to 2.2.2 if your cable came with 2.2.3. There isn't much support for diesels let alone the gasses since there has not been a true software update in like 5 years, they just keep shoving a glitchy beta down our throats.

Also if you need a tune patch and your lucky enough to have a 2.2.2 cable you have to load a tune in the truck, update to 2.2.3, pull the tune off the truck, email it to HPT, get it back, load it in the truck using 2.2.3, revert back to 2.2.2 (very frustrating), and pull the tune off the truck to have it in 2.2.2 format. Personally I'm done with HPT, I'm currently parting my race truck out and the new car I'm building is getting mega squirt. I think there were some tables missing as well for my LLY

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Quite a few people have tried it and I don't know any diesel guys that stuck with it. I know a lot of gasser guys that are very happy with it though.

Somewhat I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with, all that said I would recommend EFI Live and have been very happy with EFI Live.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
HPT can do all the same stuff as EFI Live can, except the DSP 5. I have HPT and use it all the time, but my LB7 was tuned with EFI Live because I wanted 5 tunes and the ability to switch on the fly, without having to load a different tune.

That1028guy

Feb 23, 2013
St.Louis Mo
Thanks guys! I would hate to spend that much money and have something I hate. The only real tuning experience I have is with my R6 with a Bazzaz. Now the other question I have I'm not sure if I can openly ask, due to... Controversy.... Lets just say all the truck has on it at the moment is a full MBRP exhaust. So I'm looking for a program that can help with future mods. ;)

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
If you haven't bought it yet, you SHOULD consider EFI Live for your D-max. DSP 5 is a damn nice feature to have.

I just don't like it when others try to say that HPT sucks at D-max tuning. It's just not true.

That1028guy

Feb 23, 2013
St.Louis Mo
Sorry AK, I must have been posting while you were writing. I would love to get my hands on EFI Live to try it out, but I don't think there is anyone in my area(STL) that I could check it out first. I do like the idea of a switch, I had that on my TB suburban, it was great I case of a botched tune. I suppose my mind is made up, time to start saving! LoL