LLY: HP tuners tune problems

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
Hey guys i have a 04.5 rc/lb lly with S&B intake and 4in MBRP front pipe back exhaust and im trying to tune with HP Tuners, here is my problem, ive had a guy helping me with my tunes, and every one has had the same problem, usually right around 55mph and decent throttle the truck goes into some sort of limp mode or reduced power mode (with no MIL), the first tune on the truck took about a day for it to happen then it started happening every time i drove the truck, ive even taken the truck to the dealership and paid to have the stock tune put on and retry tuneing (the stock tune never has this problem)

So i want to do two
1) find the problem weather it is in the tune or the truck, does anybody have an idea
2) i want to start over on a tune and do this by myself, where do i need to start, how much can i change with this 5speed allison, what tables to i touch and what do i not touch?

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Have you checked codes even if the light doesn't come on? also since it is a LLY is it shimmed?

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
first thing is check for codes like kat said. And the next thing is probably get a different tuner or try tuning yourself. the allison doesnt need to be tuned other than maybe shift rpm. PW and timing are were most of your power is going to be made try messing around a little and then post your tune and we can try to help you as much as possible

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
Have you checked codes even if the light doesn't come on? also since it is a LLY is it shimmed?

this is the first time ive messed with this in a little over a month but before there were no codes, and sorry if i dont know this but what is shimmed?

first thing is check for codes like kat said. And the next thing is probably get a different tuner or try tuning yourself. the allison doesnt need to be tuned other than maybe shift rpm. PW and timing are were most of your power is going to be made try messing around a little and then post your tune and we can try to help you as much as possible

and i plan on tuning it now, ill work on it some tomorrow and post up, also what rpm would be safe around 4000? you also wouldent happen to have some good numbers to start with for PW and timing?

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
and i plan on tuning it now, ill work on it some tomorrow and post up, also what rpm would be safe around 4000? you also wouldent happen to have some good numbers to start with for PW and timing?

4000 is a little high i would put it around 3700 for wot shift rpm, if you raise it to 3700 you will have to modify the Base QTY vs. TPS table so it will give it fuel in the higher rpms. With a stock tranny and no lift pump i would probably run a max of 2600 in the bottom right of the pw tables(the bottom right is the only part that needs to be modified). and around 20 degrees of timing should give you decent mileage and power. There are also some other tables that will need to be modified but we can cross that road after you post a tune:D

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
4000 is a little high i would put it around 3700 for wot shift rpm, if you raise it to 3700 you will have to modify the Base QTY vs. TPS table so it will give it fuel in the higher rpms. With a stock tranny and no lift pump i would probably run a max of 2600 in the bottom right of the pw tables(the bottom right is the only part that needs to be modified). and around 20 degrees of timing should give you decent mileage and power. There are also some other tables that will need to be modified but we can cross that road after you post a tune:D

ok, i do have a lift pump from Kennedy diesel, hopefully i will build a tune and try it out today but if not tomorrow.

For a LLY to make run big power you will either have to shim it or put a race valve.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267&highlight=shim+mod

When it goes into limp mode does it limit your RPM's to 2000 rpm until you shut the truck off and restart it?

yes you have to shut the truck off and wait a couple of minutes or so and it will reset, and i will look into shiming it soon.

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
tried uploading tune and its saying its a invalid file, how else can i attach this or can i email it to you?

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
yes you have to shut the truck off and wait a couple of minutes or so and it will reset, and i will look into shiming it soon.

Sound like who ever wrote the tune shut the 1093 cel light off.

tried uploading tune and its saying its a invalid file, how else can i attach this or can i email it to you?

You need to zip it then post it. But, if this is a tune you purchased from someone then we prefer you not post it here.

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
a friend of mine just informed me its probably starving the cp3 and the fuel safety feature kicked in, and posibly i might need a new fuel filter. Does shiming it or putting in a race valve help this problem? im also thinking about upgrading to the KD dual lift pumps and filter setup instead of my single. What other upgrades would help out?

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
lol well this tune worked! so im very excited, it needs some work for driveablity some what but i have conquered the 2k limp mode bwahahahahahaha now on to better things like tire squeelin, black smoke blowin sideways truck time :D