HP Cloud Services Folding and Invites

C.C.Reed

May 1, 2008
I got into the Private Beta for HP last week. I am currently folding on 3 instances. . . just started last night. :D

Today I received an email offering more Beta invites.

Hi,

We appreciate your help as we build out HP Cloud Services, increasing functionality and ironing out kinks. Thank you for your help and feedback, we wouldn’t be where we are today without you.

As a trusted beta tester, we’re offering you the opportunity to invite five friends to try out our cloud compute and cloud storage services. Five of your closest friends will be pre-qualified for our private beta and will receive invites immediately. This is your chance to get them priority access to our exclusive, free private beta.

Here’s how you do it.
1. Point your referrals to sign up at http://hpcloud.com/sign_up
2. Instruct them to type“@hpcloud” in the twitter field. We’re accepting referrals until 1/28/12. Forward away!

Thanks for being a loyal Private Beta participant,

Chris J. Anderson MHR
HP Cloud Sales Engineer

Here is a guide to get you started if you are accepted. You will need to be in Linux or run VM with a linux image to set it up.

You are only allowed 20 cores or 5 instances.

If you run the core hack, you can run -bigadv on each 8 core instance.

I am currently getting 50-60k PPD per -bigadv instance and 8k PPD on my 4 core instance.

Good luck.

:hug:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Try as I may, I simply can't understand WTF y'all are saying 95% of the time. God bless you all for knowing it all, I just haven't been exposed to enough of the language to really even comprehend.

For example, wth is an instance?? You said you're doing such-n-such per instance. And what's "ppd" stand for?

It's so fascinating what I think you a are doing but I just struggle truly understanding much of it. lol

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I don't even know what folding is either and I have a duramax scientist thing in my avatar for some reason :roflmao: Are you giving other computers power while yours in hibernating to save power for strangers?? I was always so confused also

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
What's a point? Just a means to keep "score" or...?

This whole folding thing is them sending problems (algorithms?) to be ran/solved on your machine. It's loaning your hardware to them for the use of solving problems, right? So that essentially they cumulatively have an enormous computer with huge calculating capabilities, right?

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
This whole folding thing is them sending problems (algorithms?) to be ran/solved on your machine. It's loaning your hardware to them for the use of solving problems, right? So that essentially they cumulatively have an enormous computer with huge calculating capabilities, right?

Yes to all of the above.

The points are just a way of making it a competition. It really is just a way to maybe solve health issues: Alzheimer, cancer, etc etc.