How to tell the difference.

grthigpen

Aug 4, 2013
I have found a 2006 GMC 2500HD (manufactured 8/05) how can i raise the hood and quickly tell if its an old LLY like in the 05 or the LLY that was built for 3 months that was a detuned LBZ that was used going forward? It has engine code 2 and has the Allison transmission. All points to the LBZ block but I want to make sure. thanks for comments and pictures. please email pictures and comments to [email protected] if it is easier to send than post here. thanks for all the help in advance GRT

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
If It is an 06 and it has a vin code 2, then it is the same as an lbz. The 04.5-05 lly is totally different than the 06 lly.

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
All parts on a 06 LLY are exactly the same as a 06 LBZ-- the smaller tune is the difference, but a tuner can fix that in 5 minutes.

Ther early LLY had a FICM on the passenger valvecover. No FICM on the later engines.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
The badge isn't a totally reliable way to tell. I know a guy with an 06 lly with 6 speed and his just says "Duramax Diesel" like older ones

sent from a galaxy far far away

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
The badge isn't a totally reliable way to tell. I know a guy with an 06 lly with 6 speed and his just says "Duramax Diesel" like older ones

A 06 lly will still have the old badge. They only started the new badges on lbz's

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ

A 06 lly will still have the old badge. They only started the new badges on lbz's

Yeah this is what I meant...I thought the badge was an easy way to tell the 06 LLY from the 06 LBZ.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood

Badge on an 06LLY should still be the old style. LBZ got the new style.

As mentioned tapshifter is an indicator.

If the 8th VIN digit is a "2" and the `10th digit is a "6" then it is an 06LLY.

Pop the hood and if you do not see an FICM on the passenger side valvecover, its an LBZ. Also look at the turbo intake horn, LBZ's are much larger than LLY's. The cold side intercooler pipe will also give some indication as well. LLYs come up more towards the fender on that side of the air intake whereas LBZs come from the front more on that side of the air intake. There is also the 4 bolt flange where the intake grid heater is on the LBZ's. LLYs do not have this. The engine fan shroud should also be a giveaway. LLYs do not have the annoying supports everywhere whereas the LBZ's do.

NOTE: In the above paragraph LLY means 04.5-05LLY and LBZ means 06LLY-07LBZ.

That should be plenty to get you in the right direction.

grthigpen

Aug 4, 2013
Badge on an 06LLY should still be the old style. LBZ got the new style.

As mentioned tapshifter is an indicator.

If the 8th VIN digit is a "2" and the `10th digit is a "6" then it is an 06LLY.

Pop the hood and if you do not see an FICM on the passenger side valvecover, its an LBZ. Also look at the turbo intake horn, LBZ's are much larger than LLY's. The cold side intercooler pipe will also give some indication as well. LLYs come up more towards the fender on that side of the air intake whereas LBZs come from the front more on that side of the air intake. There is also the 4 bolt flange where the intake grid heater is on the LBZ's. LLYs do not have this. The engine fan shroud should also be a giveaway. LLYs do not have the annoying supports everywhere whereas the LBZ's do.

NOTE: In the above paragraph LLY means 04.5-05LLY and LBZ means 06LLY-07LBZ.]

Please confirm, the '06 LLY, which is a detuned LBZ does NOT have the FICM at the front of the passenger valve cover.... lot of websites show that the LBZ has one at that location like the 2005 LLY's I figure they are wrong but want to confirm thanks

grthigpen

Aug 4, 2013
so the FICM is on valve cover even on the 2006 LLY with Allison that is the fisrt version of the LBZ use from 8/05 thru 11/05?

Last edited:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
so the FICM is on valve cover even on the 2006 LLY with Allison that is the fisrt version of the LBZ use from 8/05 thru 11/05?

No not the 06LLY, 06LLY is mechanically an LBZ.

Please confirm, the '06 LLY, which is a detuned LBZ does NOT have the FICM at the front of the passenger valve cover.... lot of websites show that the LBZ has one at that location like the 2005 LLY's I figure they are wrong but want to confirm thanks[/SIZE][/FONT]

Okay below are pictures of an LBZ with EGR delete that I just took. This allows you to see much better anyways. FICM on LLY and LB7 is mounted on front of passenger valvecover above #1 and #3 injectors. You can see both injector lines in the closeup and there is nothing. Also note the TCM differences between the 5spd and 6spd ally. The 5spd is covered under a plastic cover and is much larger than the exposed 6spd TCM.

grthigpen

Aug 4, 2013
dura.jpg

is this a picture from the top of a 2005 lly or a 2006 lly/lbz? thanks

Attachments

• dura.jpg
    dura.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 32