How to identify/decode Allison tags

Bersaglieri

Dec 28, 2013
I am doing a swap/conversion and was told by my swap guy to find an Allison from a 2006 Duramax, since it has the input speed/rpm sensor in the bellhousing. I may not be quoting him correctly, but the way he explained it's significance made sense.

Anyways the search is on and I don't want to get scammed by purchasing the wrong year transmission. How can I read the tag or tell from the outside if I am buying the correct transmission?

Side note, would it be safe to say that any Allison behind a LBZ would be the same type, regardless of whether it was a 2006 and 2007 classic, or not?

Thanks guys.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
All 6 speeds have the NSBU switch inside the pan while the 5 speeds are external and visable at the cable linkage. Any year LBZ should work.

If I'm not mistaken, the LMM Allison and later doesn't have the sensor on the bell housing for the converter. So any 6 speed with the sensor is what you want

Bersaglieri

Dec 28, 2013
Awesome thanks guys!

Here is what he wrote: "For a 6-speed conversion, a 2006 Allison with an input speed sensor is recommended, other years may be possible to use but require rpm signal conditioning."

I am going to look at an Allison that is still bolted to a LBZ from a 2006 truck that is being parted out. Looks like the converter, trans, TCM and sensors are all included.

Just to verify what to look for, the sensor I am looking for is the one pictured here in the bellhousing here, correct? [I'm not sure what year this trans in the picture is, just an image I found]
004-allison-1000-automatic-transmission.jpg