LLY: how to/can I defeat the Shift Interlock

Rikter

Grumpy, old, farty, funny
Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
My shifter intermittently fails to allow me to shift out of park. It leaves me stranded. Hot or cold it is intermittent, occuring 50% of the time. Can the shift interlock be defeated? is there someting else I should do? Burn it?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
do this, if the shifter lock fails.

1. turn the key OFF.
2. turn the key to ACC. Note I said ACCESSORY, not ON! The first click from OFF.
3. shift to neutral (keep your foot on the brake obviously)
4. start the truck normally.
5. shift from neutral into drive, and then drive away.

Rikter

Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
Shift nanny

Yes that works, but what is the problem? shifter interlock (nanny) how do I defeat or repair?

MaxPF

JAFAWAM
Jan 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
OK what does that mean. What else is going to pack the fudge?

BTSI=Brake-Transmission Shift Interlock. It's a nannyism that automakers have put in vehicles since at least the late 80's to protect the car companies from frivolous lawsuits by stupid people who really should have never been given the privilege of a drivers license (nor allowed to reproduce IMO). If that little nannyism malfunctions, you won't be able to shift out of park.

Rikter

Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
Nanny Nit

Yes I know what it is. My question is 1) how do I defeat it. 2) what risks if I remove the fuse. BTW the "key on acc" mode gives about the same intermittent frequency. half the time it locks out shifting. Seems to happen more often when below freezing. If this garbage keeps up I will be a Ford man & GM can keel over & die!!

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Yes I know what it is. My question is 1) how do I defeat it. 2) what risks if I remove the fuse. BTW the "key on acc" mode gives about the same intermittent frequency. half the time it locks out shifting. Seems to happen more often when below freezing. If this garbage keeps up I will be a Ford man & GM can keel over & die!!

you'll have to take it apart and look at it, and the ignition cylinder interlock mechanism...

or just buy a ford. Whichever is easier for you.

Ben

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Ok, reviving this thread because this is now heppening to me. How do i get to the part that is malfunctioning so i can replace it instead of just pulling the fuse?
Thanks

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
I have seen a few that had this problem and i found it to be the brake sensor on the paddle or a worn hydro booster rod end was the fix

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Ok so after some digging through the internet i found it to be the automatic transmission shift lock control actuator. Located on the right side of the steering column. It is connecter too the shifting linkage on the right and has only a green and black wire coming out of the back. It is about 8 inches long.
Hopefully this might help someone else with this issue in the future.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Ok so after some digging through the internet i found it to be the automatic transmission shift lock control actuator. Located on the right side of the steering column. It is connecter too the shifting linkage on the right and has only a green and black wire coming out of the back. It is about 8 inches long.
Hopefully this might help someone else with this issue in the future.

I unplugged mine( while in park) I some how pooped it out of the ball socket one day when I had the truck in a bad flexing situation and was trying to go out of first to reverse, never had any issue doing so.

Same with the brake/park rod, I ripped it out and threw it in the trash so I didn't have to hold the brake to go into gear. (Little trick I learned when I was playing cat and mouse it the law when younger)

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
If it's not coming out of park, then you need to see if pushing the brake pedal cuts the power feed to the shift interlock solenoid. The solenoid only stops the shifter from coming out of park when it is powered on. Hence why pulling the fuse allows you to move it. If power isn't being cut to it, then you need to check your brake switch or however yours is wired. My 95 and the schematics for my 01 donor truck both had the power going to the nsbu for the park nuetral power feed up to the brake switch, when the brake pedal was depressed, it cut the power feed to the solenoid releasing it to allow you to shift. If power is cut and you still can't shift out of park, then your solenoid is sticking internally.