How often to change serpentine belt ?

2012 DMAX

Nov 4, 2012
Southwest IA
Getting ready for a long trip with the D-Max and 30' camper. I've got 61 k miles on my 2012 Silverado D-Max and it's bone stock and I've got the dual alternator option. How often should I change the serpentine belt ?

How big of a job is it if it breaks on the road ?

Thanks.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
It can be done without many tools, but it's a real pain to get the belt over and under all the different pulleys. If the weather is good, you are in camp, cold beer in hand and more in the fridge, not so bad, but if it's 115 and you are in a hurry, you're going to have a very bad day. I had a problem with the serpentine on my my 1995 Sonoma in Phoenix on a very hot summer afternoon. I got it changed, but it was miserable. Much easier to keep these changed, say every 75K or so, vs changing when you have problems.

Reactions: 2012 DMAX

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Inspect the belt. If it shows signs of aging then replace it. Cracking, missing pieces of the ribs/groves, or excessive crazing. Otherwise if the belt is in good shape don't sweat it and inspect it at regular intervals like when you are doing an oil change

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
It can be done without many tools, but it's a real pain to get the belt over and under all the different pulleys. If the weather is good, you are in camp, cold beer in hand and more in the fridge, not so bad, but if it's 115 and you are in a hurry, you're going to have a very bad day. I had a problem with the serpentine on my my 1995 Sonoma in Phoenix on a very hot summer afternoon. I got it changed, but it was miserable. Much easier to keep these changed, say every 75K or so, vs changing when you have problems.
My worst one was losing the belt and the tensioner in Barstow, on a Sunday, in summer, with the boat and family in tow.

Add to that the only Uber available for 15m wound up running out of gas on the freeway on ramp with me and my mother in the car just after grabbing the parts, and the next Uber took 45m to find... that was quite an adventure.
I decided to repair the leaking radiator at the same time lol

moral of the story, easier to do ahead of time, but it can be figured out in a pinch on the side of the road.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Inspect the belt. If it shows signs of aging then replace it. Cracking, missing pieces of the ribs/groves, or excessive crazing. Otherwise if the belt is in good shape don't sweat it and inspect it at regular intervals like when you are doing an oil change

^ This. In my opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If the belt is still in good shape run it. I inspect mine every oil change (5k miles) or every time I'm under the hood doing something else.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I agree you don’t replace them just cause. Ive had several go over 200k. I drive 30-50k a year and never had one break other then when a idler or pulley goes out.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Idlers and tensioner pulley are wear items and should be on your maintenance schedule.