LB7: How much HP?

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
I just installed a 4" exhaust, ditched the Kat (sorry Kat :D)

Installed a modded intake horn and have a Hypertech controller set on level three.

Any ideas about approximate HP and TRQ ? I am going to dyno it soon to confirm.

I also want to upgrade the intake any ideas?

This is our tow hauler and daily driver 77K miles right now.

Today Michelle drove the truck to work and said she could tell the truck had more noticeable power with the new exhaust when passing people..:D

Truck is a CC LB Auto.

Thanks,

John

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Normally the LB7's I've tuned and watched on the dyno have done about 240-255rwhp bone stock.

IIRC, the Hypertech is a 90hp tuner. Unlike the gas world, most diesel mods are measured at the tires. Exhaust tends to pick up about 10-20rwhp depending. My guess would be very similiar to Maxholic, about 350-355rwhp. This is approaching the limit of the factory Allison setup, but should be safe.

First thing to go is usually the 5-4 or 4-5 shift. When the power is turned up high on a stock trans, avoid WOT 5-4 downshifts and 4-5 upshifts.

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
Pat,

Thanks for the info and the PM as well.

What is the approximate cost for a trans upgrade with Mike? This will not be a race truck just a tow vehicle daily driver..and it may try to pick on a few Fords as well :rofl:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Pat,

Thanks for the info and the PM as well.

What is the approximate cost for a trans upgrade with Mike? This will not be a race truck just a tow vehicle daily driver..and it may try to pick on a few Fords as well :rofl:

Mike has a nice kit to fit those needs excatly , single disk converter and internal upgrades . You will have to ask him on the cost though .

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Here's a link covering the BPU's for the LB7:

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9733&highlight=BPU+LB7

Your best bet is to call Mike L (Inglewood Trans - vendor). He won't "try to sell you". And he's the best in the business, IMO. Tell him McRat sent you. :D

The basic upgrade is a torque converter, valving, and clutches. This will last a very, very long time at 500rwhp. 500rwhp will usually allow you rape Mustang GT's, STi WRX's, LS1 F-bodies, C5 Corvettes, etc, and can even take a Viper if the guy can't hook up on the launch. We call these "tuning only" trucks, and they are most common level of modification.

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
Thanks I spoke with Mike today regarding a trans upgrade, nice guy and very informative as well, he shot me a price with him doing all the work and also with me removing and reinstalling the transmission.

Then after I told him McRat sent me he added some "special $500.00 added surcharge" :mad:

J/K :rofl:

Thanks for the information.

John

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Thanks I spoke with Mike today regarding a trans upgrade, nice guy and very informative as well, he shot me a price with him doing all the work and also with me removing and reinstalling the transmission.

Then after I told him McRat sent me he added some "special $500.00 added surcharge" :mad:

J/K :rofl:

Thanks for the information.

John

Mike can set you up with an intake also:D

d-max joe

Feb 6, 2009
baltimore,md
yuoll be fine on that stock trans if thats all your gonna do. i been driving on 160hp tune for about two years and havent had any problems besides when i went higher then that.

Last edited:

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
We are looking to make just about 500 hp and whatever torque figure comes with it, we will have it set on stun for the street and a much lower setting (map) for the times we tow.

Next mod needs to be an air intake mod I would think.

John

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
We are looking to make just about 500 hp and whatever torque figure comes with it, we will have it set on stun for the street and a much lower setting (map) for the times we tow.

John

Gonna need a lift pump before intake

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.

John

We run Pat's LB7 race tune on my Dad's '02 with a EFI Live DSP5 switch...We barely back it down while towing 10,000 lbs and EGTs stay in check as long as you keep the RPMs up while climbing grades...After your trans upgrade, you should have him build you some tunes...

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
Thanks for the information, we tow a 36' fifth wheel triple axle that is nearly 16K I would assume when loaded with all needed gear and liquids.

Tell me more about the lift pumps and what they do.. :)

Thanks,

John