How long can an engine sit

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Ok guys so I tend to overthink things, Just want some of your input! How long can an engine sit before surface rust starts to appear on cylinder walls etc? I had to pull the trans in mine and it’s been unfortunately sitting outside in the humidity and it’s been getting into the 90s and 50% humidity here daily. What do you guys think?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Ok guys so I tend to overthink things, Just want some of your input! How long can an engine sit before surface rust starts to appear on cylinder walls etc? I had to pull the trans in mine and it’s been unfortunately sitting outside in the humidity and it’s been getting into the 90s and 50% humidity here daily. What do you guys think?

Turn it over by hand once in a while and put a little oil in cylinders. The fuel system concerns me the most.

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Turn it over by hand once in a while and put a little oil in cylinders. The fuel system concerns me the most.

I’m not exactly thrilled it’s been this long, best way to spray oil in the cylinders I guess maybe wd-40 and pull the glow plugs? It’s been sitting like this for a month now and trans will be back next week. It’s a freshly built Motor and it sucks it’s having to sit outside but I have nowhere else to put it as of now

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If it is freshly built, it should have some thick assembly lube over all the metal parts, including the cylinder walls. If you are concerned, you could pull the glow plugs and spray fogging oil in to all the cylinders. You could theoretically do that down the intake, but without spinning the motor over rapidly I would be concerned it wouldn't reach the front and back cylinders.

For what it is worth, when I had a glow plug go through cylinder #1, I pulled the passenger side head and said "yep, built motor time", then left the truck sitting in a hangar for 3 years while I saved up. I applied fogging oil to the open side, but did nothing to the driver side. 3 years later, both sides were fine. Humidity gets up to 80-90% with the rice around in the summers in CA at my parents farm.

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Well it’s fresh but it has its first oil change and 1400 miles on it now, and wow 3 years is a long time! I figure a month would be fine wouldn’t dealerships have vehicles sitting longer? I just want to take adequate precautions considering I put all this money into an engine build only for it to sit.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I wouldn’t worry if it’s only a month. Engine oil will keep those cylinders covered for quite some time. Fuel system should have fuel in it and little to no air.

IMHO, you’re over thinking it :D

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Your way overthinking it. Farmers have equipment that sits 10 months out of the year. I’ve seen equipment sit for a couple years and then get put back to work without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
We just fired off a p-pump Cummins that had been sitting uncovered on the floor of an open air barn for an unknown number of YEARS in Fl where the humidity is basically 1000% 360 days of the year. It was and is fine. You're good

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Yep, I fire off hundreds of 4stroke outboards that sit for 10 months at a time for decades. No problems except for sticky rings now and again. Ringfree works wonders for that though...