How do you tell if there's fuel in the oil

Terrellsherilyn

Apr 20, 2013
Michigan
I read these posts from time to time and come across check for fuel in oil or there must be fuel in the oil .. So how do you no if there's fuel in oil and what causes it

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
leaking injectors cause it and if you are more then 10 quarts full of oil thats a huge indication, or the oil will be diluted

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Drop a few drops of oil on a paper towel and look for a light ring to develop around the center spot of oil. Diesel fuel will leave a halo like this around the oil. Early lb7's with original injectors were prone to cracked bodies that leaked fuel into the oil. Leaking return lines under the valve covers can also be the cause but note likely if they haven't been messed with.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
If its gettign higher on the stick when you check it. check it weekly or more often if you drive it daily a fair amount of miles. you will see it go up. i have seen LB7's wut fuel/oil coming out of the valve cover breathers and onto the ground and it still ran fine and after the injectors were replaced the engine was fine. drained 5 gallons out of the engine

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Honestly I have always been good at just smelling it and rubbing it in between my fingers.

If it is thin and smells like diesel.....

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Check out www.blackstone-labs.com, apply for there sample kit and then change your oil, take a sample, and send it off. They will be able to tell you how much fuel is in your oil as well as a bunch of other indications and send you a full report back with national avgs with other owners and the same truck. Great company!