LBZ: Horrible noise in 4x4

DuramaxTireSmoker

Jun 8, 2010
SW Florida
I'm working on a 06 LLY. I know the front driver side wheel bearing is bad, and i havent got to replacing it. In 4wheel drive i've got a horrible beating noise starting around 10mph and it grinds so bad it slows the truck down. Do i need a new front differential? I tried a different transfercase and that didn't do it. Could a wheel bearing cause this much noise? I need to do some diagnosing but thought i'd ask your opinions..

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
pull the cover or at the very least the drain plug on the front diff and see what comes out. not sure if engaging 4 wheel drive with the front drive shaft out would help diagnose a bad xfer case or not.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Hubs can make some terrible noises. I bought a truck from a guy and I wouldn't complete the deal until I changed the hub because it was that hard to believe it was the hub that was making that noise.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
Sounds like you lost a pinion bearing. Gonna have to drop and split the diff in half. They're pretty easy to rebuild

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
I belive so. There should be no movement in the front yoke other than rotational obviously. lol Definately sounds like you're gonna need some bearings and gears

DuramaxTireSmoker

Jun 8, 2010
SW Florida
found one at a salvage yard but thanks Todd.

What's the trick to removing it? I have all the bolts out but I don't see how its gonna come out. Do I need to remove the centerlink?