Hop issue

06BlackStallion

Jun 30, 2013
North Brookfield,MA
Had another pull today with a different setup than last year and the truck is still hopping like slob. Torsion keys are turned all the way down, leaf springs clamped, 80 psi in the air bags, 1" of travel on rear stops, 24 psi up front and 46 psi in the rear with BFG A/T's. Can't figure out what is Goin on I have caltracs on it and I know they aren't the best for pulling and have kryptonite upper control arms. Had 1100 lbs in the bed. Might be forgetting some stuff but I don't know if anyone could give me some advice I'm stuck lol thanks guys

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
The air bags could be working against you. Wouldn't surprise me if they are holding all the weight and causing it to unload the front of the truck. If you have blocks in why would you run the air bags? That's just a good way to make one or both of them burst. x2 need stock keys.

06BlackStallion

Jun 30, 2013
North Brookfield,MA
Truck is a daily driver and I wish I could use stock keys in it but I have to make clearance for my non pulling tires without getting a crappy ride. I tow often and the air bags are a must for me. Idk if I should try not putting as much air in the bags and blocking the front end. Even with key bolts all the way out I can push my front end up and down like 2".

LbzDMax07

Dec 16, 2013
PA
I would go less in the bags to start. I pulled with about 55 psi in mine and the truck did great. We I went to 90 psi mine hopped terrible. I don't have blocks in mine though

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
We need a video..

Are you running rear solids and air bags?

Pic of the truck in "sled pull mode" ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06BlackStallion

Jun 30, 2013
North Brookfield,MA
Everytime I try to post video or pic it never works sorry man. It looks like the whole truck is bouncing evenly buy the front is def a issue. I was hoping making adjustable stops in place of jounce pads will help it some. But I'm not sure if I should be doing something on upper control arm from stopping the upward bounce.

bubba2400

Jul 19, 2009
Union Grove, WI
Drop the air out of the bags and just run the suspension stops. No need for the bags if it's blocked solid after that one inch of travel.

How much power does it have and what size tires? Stock gears in the axles?

What gear are you pulling in?

When does it start to hop? Right away or 100 feet out?

06BlackStallion

Jun 30, 2013
North Brookfield,MA
I am running 305/70's with a BFG A/T. Truck has stock gearing wth about 525 hp. All of the pulls I have been putting it in manual 3rd gear in 4 lo with T/H on and after I hit second gear I slowly lay Into it and lock converter. Yesterday is started hopping at around 75' mark. Tomorrow I will be having Evan at Limitless diesel give me a 3rd gear start. I have been toying with tire pressure last few pulls and I think I should be at about 32 psi in front and 55-60 in the rear. Thanks for your help guys been pulling my hair out lately lol

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Truck is a daily driver and I wish I could use stock keys in it but I have to make clearance for my non pulling tires without getting a crappy ride.
Lift keys do nothing to help the ride. A stock truck cranked to the same height as a truck that only has lift keys will have the same ride quality.

06BlackStallion

Jun 30, 2013
North Brookfield,MA
I was told differently and that's why I did control arms too. Thread isn't about correcting ride quality or what's right and wrong about leveling keys I know it's not ideal for pulling as I said in the beginning it's about tryin to get advice on my hopping issue thank you for that Info tho.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
My buddies lb7 when making around the same power had problems hopping.. Pulled the lift keys and installed stock keys and cut fenders more. Also aired the tires up quite a bit more. I think he runs 60 rear and 50 front or something with 325/60/18 Mtz that are like new.

Now he is running an s366, and extra fuel, if I would get him a 3rd gear 4 low tune it would be hard to beat for a daily driven truck. I'll find a video of his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk