LB7: Home heating oil gaff

briencolgan

brien colgan
Jan 26, 2017
Ithaca, NY
I did something brilliant with my 03 duramax. I came across 300 gallons of free diesel in a metal tank. And I put it all in the truck . And things were good until the last 40 gallon fill.

I watched the fuel turn black going in and thought to myself this is a bad idea. And predictably I’m chewing through filters every 50 miles.

I’m probably on filter 6. (I get just over 200 miles per fill up) I was figuring eventually after enough filters, the problem would go away. On this particular truck dropping tanks is doable but a pita due to an aftermarket box that’s welded on.

Am I gonna have to just suck it up and remove the tanks or do you think after enough filter changes the sludge in the tank will be eliminated.

I’d rather spend another couple hundred on filters versus dropping the tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Fluids and Maintenance, b/c after using that fluid, you're going to be doing a lot of maintenance....

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
I watched the fuel turn black going in and thought to myself this is a bad idea. And predictably I’m chewing through filters every 50 miles.

Even after seeing it turn black you kept going? And after the first filter change at 50 miles you still kept going?? Free "fuel" is not free if you cause thousands in damage...

briencolgan

brien colgan
Jan 26, 2017
Ithaca, NY
I figure the filter is doing its job. That’s why. Am I missing something? Can impurities get past the filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Filters catch a percentage of particles based on their micron rating and efficiency. So some will get past the filter. How much? Depends on the filters you are running. The more junk in the fuel the more will make it to the pump and injectors

I would drop the tank and clean it out fast. LB7s are the least tolerant of bad fuel. You can trash a good set of injectors in a few miles like that