Help with converter choice.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
2002 Lb7 with a tow tune, tow 12K plus, 28ft toy hauler thru very steep and hilly terrain. Never had an issue with my OE converter but lost 5th gear after 460,000km's, so decided to upgrade, local single disc billet and have the trans built.
Last summer, going up a hill, rolled into it and it shuddered, limp mode. Happened a few more times, so I thought my trans was toast again, didn't have time to fix it, so I drop into into 4th and get the rpm up, no issues. Happened to me last weekend in 4th so of course, its not my trans but the converter. Blessing lol.
They'll warranty it but it wasn't even a year old, maybe 5000 km's. I could upgrade to their triple but looking at another $1400 on top of mine.
I can get an New OE LML for $650 brand new, is that the way to go or have them fix the converter and risk it again? Other options? I don't want to do this again, I have too much going on to keep doing this. Thanks.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
A Goerend X, G, C, R, DK, DL are all great options for a stock turbo truck (especially an LB7).

I personally really like the R, DK, and DL as I like a little bit of extra stall speed and the billet stator really helps things if you get a bit rowdy (in terms of keeping the stator alive). I use quite a few C converters in our budget builds as they're a stock stall OEM style stator but are still a billet cover triple disk.

OEM LML converters are a decent upgrade over an OEM 01-10 converter but I wouldn't use them in anything above a small tow tune which is why our budget builds all get Goerend C converters as I feel they're more robust and will take the abuse better.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
A Goerend X, G, C, R, DK, DL are all great options for a stock turbo truck (especially an LB7).

I personally really like the R, DK, and DL as I like a little bit of extra stall speed and the billet stator really helps things if you get a bit rowdy (in terms of keeping the stator alive). I use quite a few C converters in our budget builds as they're a stock stall OEM style stator but are still a billet cover triple disk.

OEM LML converters are a decent upgrade over an OEM 01-10 converter but I wouldn't use them in anything above a small tow tune which is why our budget builds all get Goerend C converters as I feel they're more robust and will take the abuse better.
Thank you.

I am planning on a small turbo upgrade down the road but nothing extreme or put the LLY turbo on and go full LLY, easier down the road for tuning options vs the hybrid setup I have now.

Get it from the source?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thank you.

I am planning on a small turbo upgrade down the road but nothing extreme or put the LLY turbo on and go full LLY, easier down the road for tuning options vs the hybrid setup I have now.

Get it from the source?
I buy them from direct Goerend but I’m also a direct dealer haha.

I can get you whatever you’re after from them if you’d like.

Reactions: turbovan