LB7: Help with codes

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
So I have been getting a p0103 and p0238 although they are intermittent they come up more often than not. There is tons of black smoke at any level above 1/2 throttle and low power, boost levels are normal. I replaced the maf because mine was questionable at best. I have no intake air leaks and no boost leaks and wiring looks good.
The p0103 sets a few miles after startup most times and the overboost code sets on any moderate to hard run with like I said TONS of black smoke. It's disgusting and I don't even want to drive my truck it's so bad.
Anything I should check besides possible map sensor, it's plugged in and not physically damaged, any way to check it besides swapping with a known good one?
Could this be a tuning issue?
Any idea much appreciated.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
DTC P0238
Turbocharger Boost Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Both codes look to be wiring related to me... Maybe pull those wires out of the factory loom and look them over real well.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Boost sensor in the y bridge? Is that the same thing as map sensor or am I way off

I thought the boost reference signal came from the maf...

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I don't know for sure I haven't had to mess with the boost sensor yet, knock on wood... But they both seemed linked together to me. If you have a new/good boost sensor to try it can't hurt. I do believe the Map/boost sensor on the LB7 is in the y-bridge neck.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I'll have to get my hands on a boost sensor just to rule that out. I think I might know someone up the street with a limo in his driveway that might have a spare for me to try out. ;)

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The LB7 uses the MAF to measure airflow going into the engine, an atmospheric pressure sensor to measure the altitude(mounted on the drivers side near the engine bale plugs), and a boost pressure sensor to measure actual boost pressure(on an 02+ I believe it is on the passenger side in the intake just before the y). Common problem d pots to cause problems with them is the wiring where it passes by the alternator. The harness is known to rub through in that area.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Bumping this back up, I'm assuming I have a problem with one of the three sensors unless they do not talk to each other.

Wiring looks good, the hard plastic loom covers have all be removed over a year ago and I double wrapped the harness with super 33+ and I don't see any signs where it rubbed through. I did shorten my maf wires because of the different location the maf is for my intake which is only 3.5" so I dont think it's a problem there. The wires were soldered and I double checked them.

Is there a way to test these 3 sensors via V2 or efi?

Also threw a random P0089 last night for the first time ever, well it was there when I was looking for the other two that I posted in the OP and I check every day I drive it which is once or twice a week.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Rob, I'm not sure. I thought fr a long time I had tuning issues ever since I had my trans built because it was smokey and felt slow. But my 12.7 says otherwise. The issue is definitely intermittent.