Help needed

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Ive been finshing up on some last minute things on my truck to get it going for the mud hole. Well I got my traction bars on ( Which turned out great by the way). My problem is im breaking the slip yokes up at the transfer case everytime. I have no rear end give its soild i have it pre loaded pretty hard. Can any buddy help me out on giving me ideas on what to look for. This is Mr Goodtime thats on 44 boggers by the way.

Thanks guys

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I have the rear end on the truck tilted up to where it is a straight in line with my transfer case. However my shaft does run to the right a tad because my fuel tank on the truck is in the way. Could that be my problem? After 2500 rpm i always here the dreaded carnage noise

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
Is the yoke going into the splines on the t-case far enough? You should have only a 1/2 to 3/4 of the smooth part of the yoke sticking out of the case, anymore than that will make it tumble and wobble and self destruct like you are saying.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
kurt what is your pinion angle set at? Why dont you run an SYE kit?

Im going to guess that you have multiple serious driveline angle/geometry issues that need to be each addressed individually...

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Is the yoke going into the splines on the t-case far enough? You should have only a 1/2 to 3/4 of the smooth part of the yoke sticking out of the case, anymore than that will make it tumble and wobble and self destruct like you are saying.

Im sorry i should have said it a little clearer. Its breaking the ears off the slip yoke.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
kurt what is your pinion angle set at? Why dont you run an SYE kit?

Im going to guess that you have multiple serious driveline angle/geometry issues that need to be each addressed individually...

Ben as far as angles all angles are correct i beilve. The shafts are nice and straight going up to the transfer case. However my rear shaft does run straigth up to the right a little because i have a big fuel tank on my truck and i couldnt get the transfer case all the way over like it should of been. So im thinking about buying me a fuel cell and dropping the tank. I just wanted to see if there was a better soultion to the problem before i done that because i like being able to go out with 34 gallons of gas. I know its hard for yall to say with out being able to look at the problem though.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Please excuse the crappy drawing. This should explain it in pictures a little easier. Like Pat said in another thread, the angle of the driveline/differential must equal or at least be very close to the angle of the driveline/transfer case-transmission(2wd).... I think it has to be something like +/- 2*.... dont quote me on that though. If one is out it will cause nasty vibrations and place a lot of undue stress on the other driveline parts. In the case of your truck, as high as it is, you're gonna see extreme driveshaft angles no matter what. Simply clocking the diff isn;t going to fix it.

Attachments

• Driveline angles.JPG
    Driveline angles.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 53

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben as far as angles all angles are correct i beilve. The shafts are nice and straight going up to the transfer case. .

kurt if you keep breaking the same parts, something is not correct. You need to post pictures so someone with actual suspension geometry/engineering background can fix this this RIGHT way.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Please excuse the crappy drawing. This should explain it in pictures a little easier. Like Pat said in another thread, the angle of the driveline/differential must equal or at least be very close to the angle of the driveline/transfer case-transmission(2wd).... I think it has to be something like +/- 2*.... dont quote me on that though. If one is out it will cause nasty vibrations and place a lot of undue stress on the other driveline parts. In the case of your truck, as high as it is, you're gonna see extreme driveshaft angles no matter what. Simply clocking the diff isn;t going to fix it.

That is exactly right. Usually you want the angle on the axle pinion just a little bit lower than the angle coming out of the transfer case so when it is under load it will pivot up more in line so it is parallel with the output. The only time you want the axle and drive shaft to be perfectly in line is if you are using a double cardan style CV joint at the transfer case output.

brakeshoe

Nov 11, 2014
Hello, just searching for info on replacing a transfer case on a 04.5 Silverado with a 263xhd case in it. Somebody know of a reputable company who sells reman's ? Or is it best to go new ?

brakeshoe

Nov 11, 2014
Merchant is out of the 263xhd, guess they will get more available but want to install asap as there is a heavy clunk noise when shifting to 4hi and don't want to take a chance on hurting something more in it or cracking the case .. thanks