help me spend my money

mplv

Nov 20, 2009
Im building a 09 truck with a medium sized lift(7") and I want to go fast, keep my reliability and stock like driveability. I dont tow much, my boat is 5k lbs and thats about it.

I already put a 5" turbo back, EFI live from nick and a airdog 2 lift pump either on the truck or sitting in the backseat waiting install.

Im thinking of doing twins. I dont know why ive sub consciously chosen twins but I have yet I have no real clue about them. Im not the get it done no matter the cost guy but i appreciate quality and value and dont mind paying for it, i wont be doing any installs myself and currently dont know who will be but im in the begining stages of the planning process anyway. (im in NW georgia at the moment)

I know need a tranny and possible injectors also so if you guys could share some input I would GREATLY appreciate it. I guess what im trying to do is build a blueprint for my build and figure out how the truck will perform once build with a very close ballpark price guess as to what it will cost to not only buy the main components but all the supporting stuff as well and an approximate install time or cost.

Thanks a bunch for any help this seems like a much better forum than dieselplace I wish I would have found it when I built my last truck.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
First thing i would do is a built tranny. 90% of people are completely satisfied with a 500hp truck. And to get that with your truck you have most of the parts already.

I guess if you want more than 500hp you need to decide how much power you want and let us know a number and we can help you make informed decisions on what you will need to get there.

Being in GA, Garmons Diesel is a very reputable shop and he is in atlanta. We have a shop in Charlotte if a little drive doesnt bother you.

mplv

Nov 20, 2009
well I guess I want it to make as much power as possible without tearing into the motor and losing driveability and reliability. Ive built a couple nitrous vipers so I like to go fast but this is a daily driver and I drive a bunch so shitty fuel mileage is something id also like to avoid to a degree. I really dont want all the issues in my truck that usually come with building fast cars and this is really my first venture in to the diesel world because my last truck only had exhaust and efi live.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
well I guess I want it to make as much power as possible without tearing into the motor and losing driveability and reliability. Ive built a couple nitrous vipers so I like to go fast but this is a daily driver and I drive a bunch so shitty fuel mileage is something id also like to avoid to a degree. I really dont want all the issues in my truck that usually come with building fast cars and this is really my first venture in to the diesel world because my last truck only had exhaust and efi live.

Sounds like you've got a solid start:thumb:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC

Without tearing into the motor your looking at 600-650hp tops. But I will say this with your year truck they have had issues with cracked pistons. There is no rhyme or reason to it but sometimes it just happens.

But for a fun DD truck I would Go with the following:

Built trans
MPI Twins
60% Over injector nozzles
Fuel Rail Shim Kit
EGR blocker plate
Tie Rods Sleeves
Cognito Steering Braces
EFI Live tune from Idaho Rob

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
Without tearing into the motor your looking at 600-650hp tops. But I will say this with your year truck they have had issues with cracked pistons. There is no rhyme or reason to it but sometimes it just happens.

Built trans
MPI Twins
Fuel Rail Shim Kit
EGR blocker plate
Tie Rods Sleeves
Cognito Steering Braces

Recipe for a bada$$ truck right there!:thumb:

mplv

Nov 20, 2009
Im working in GA and live in FL so suncoast would be an easy stop I was thinking tranny wise. What tranny setup are ya suggesting and are there more than one way to configure MPI twins and if so what should I look into.

Are you saying 09s are cracking pistons with the above setup or cracking them once you go past that or were you talking about 07.5s?

Who should I call for this stuff?
Fuel Rail Shim Kit
EGR blocker plate

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
Im working in GA and live in FL so suncoast would be an easy stop I was thinking tranny wise. What tranny setup are ya suggesting and are there more than one way to configure MPI twins and if so what should I look into.

Are you saying 09s are cracking pistons with the above setup or cracking them once you go past that or were you talking about 07.5s?

Who should I call for this stuff?
60% Over injector nozzles <--- SoCalDiesel (Trippin (Guy))
Fuel Rail Shim Kit <--- Creatures of the Night Performance (ripmf666) Henry)) or Alligator Diesel Performance (Alligator (Chad))
EGR blocker plate <--- Alligator Diesel Performance (Alligator (Chad))

In Red.

Also if you have a bit of $$ and want the best for you truck go with a EGR Delete not just a blocker.

Last edited:

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
For the EDR Delete it would be a the cost of the new EGR Delete LMM kit that is $330.00 from Creatures Of The Night Performance (but made by Turbo Buick 6)

861522.jpg

It will eliminate everything egr and eliminate the intake air heater. They come with everything you need to install except a fed up-pipe or plate to block your up-pipe.

so you would need a EGR cap or a fed up-pipe too.

So it would cost you a lot more then just a blocker plate but the blocker plate is not fun to put in too so it may only cost $15-25 for the plate + 1-2 hours of labor and if they have never done a blocker plate it may be 3.

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
def. tranny first, most important.
then like the other guys said:
tie rod sleeves
shim kit
possibly centerlink
clamping your rear springs
you have gauges? def. need an EGT
Twins are great, and Nathan's (MPI) are some damn fine work.

My best piece of advice, like Eric Merchant told me years ago....
"Overbuild it, don't underbuild" that is so true in the tranny aspect and the twins as well.
I'm on my second set of twins and already wanting a bigger set, this stuff is so darned addicting.
Best of luck.

mplv

Nov 20, 2009
im putting a 7 inch lift and 37x24s on the truck and doing everything cognito sells and i still dont think it will handle a big launch so all the spring clamping and centerlink stuff will probably be a waste. i want to be able to pass people like they are anchored to a light pole on the side of the road

Last edited:

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
im putting a 7 inch lift and 37x24s on the truck and doing everything cognito sells and i still dont think it will handle a big launch so all the spring clamping and centerlink stuff will probably be a waste. i want to be able to pass people like they are anchored to a light pole on the side of the road

If you want it to be that fast, lose the 7" lift and 37" tires. Or do a complete engine build.

Last edited:

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008

Built trans
MPI Twins
Fuel Rail Shim Kit
EGR blocker plate
Tie Rods Sleeves
Cognito Steering Braces

i wouldnt do 60% injectors. not for a dd. they are the worst mod i have done to my truck.

mplv

Nov 20, 2009
i never said i want to drag race, i just want a big fast nasty truck. think of the fun busting asses in a monster truck.

does MPI have a website and talk to me about trannys

Last edited:

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Why is everybody stuck on twins??? I just dont see the point??? And first off there not really twins there compounds people! Get it right! I myself personally would go with a big single but thats me. As for 60 over injectors you'll be fine with them as a DD just need good tuning to make them work.