Help me out please. LMM shudder

Washingtonlmm

Oct 21, 2017
Hello so I have a 2008 lmm duramax. It has 144k on it I use it every day and I two with it every month various distances. I tow a heavy fifth wheel. At 120k the exhaust plugged on me I bought it bone stock. So of course I wasn’t in the best financial state when it happened. I bought mini max from a friend that was brand new for a couple hundred and took a sawzall to my exhaust. Worked just fine. That was last summer. So it still has the egr intact and stock air intake. It’s been runningreat. I tow on 60 hp and daily drive it on 120hp. I average over 20mpgs in the highway and around 15-16 with a trailer. No complaints other then soot all over underneath the truck and it’s loud. So the problem:
A couple months back I noticed that the transmission had a slight shake to it when I was at wot or a high throttle in 5th gear and it feels as tho it is slipping in 4th too. The truck runs great. Everything checks out. The only code it has ever thrown was a low rail pressure when I hammered on it I know that the truck needs a lift pump well I have that now just have not installed it. So I have babied it since I figured I prolly messed up the trans. Everyone I talked to agreed. I even had a guy at a trans shop a couple weeks back drive it and he somewhat agreed. So I am about to purchase a PPE stage 4 build kit with the converter and a billet stator. I figure that’s enough for me. I am never gonna take the truck passed 550hp and was told this kit would be great. So before I buy this kit I had the guy who is gonna install it hook his computer up and log the transmission while he drove it. He came to the conclusion that he doesn’t think it’s my transmission. He thinks it’s something with the motor. That being said what do you guys think it could be? If it was something internal with the motor I feel like it would run like shit or I’d definitely know. If it was fuel related wouldn’t it throw me a code? When I got the rail pressure code I know it was because the system couldn’t keep up with the amount of fuel it needed from the tuner. I know I don’t have a head gasket issue I have no symptoms of really anything. The truck runs awesome you really don’t know there is a problem until you get into the throttle. Is it possible that maybe the exhaust got to hot could that cause issues I’m at a loss. So tomorrow I’m paying 150 bucks to have a mechanic data log and do his diagnosis on the motor Any ideas would really help. Again the truck runs amazing. Smooth idle always starts no matter the weather good mileage. Great power. I just think maybe the trans guy got it wrong. And he didn’t completely rule it out he just said it seemed like a strong trans and the hesitations were not the trans.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
1st bet it is the transmission

That shake or stuttering would likely be the torque converter

Washingtonlmm

Oct 21, 2017
1st bet it is the transmission

That shake or stuttering would likely be the torque converter

See damn it that’s exactly what I thought. I mean it’s really conflicting news to hear. On one hand you want to believe the guy cuz it’s a respectable shop good reviews all they do is transmissions that’s it. He has the super expensive computers to read the transmission and instead of taking my money he is trying to help save me some. But on the other hand this transmissions week spot is 5th gear. That’s where it has the issues and it’s starting to slip and get worse. Plus I was pushing my luck running 120hp over stock. And I don’t drag it or nothing but I’m not a light foot either.

The guys basically said well there isn’t any codes it doesn’t seem to be the transmission.

Washingtonlmm

Oct 21, 2017
It’s probably the left rear tire/hub

What makes you say that ? I have had the abs light come on once or twice in the last few months. And the left rear tire caliper stuck I could feel it. I just figured I needed to clean or replace the calipers.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
How the hell are we supposed to diagnose it from afar? We're just throwing darts at a board. Only person who's going to be able to tell you anything of value is that mechanic you are taking it to. Dont know why you'd keep driving it in that manner after teh first time it did that, either.

Id lean toward trans if its in 4th/5th upshift while WOT with a 120hp tune. BUT it could be a hub, too....

Moved to LMM section, too.

Washingtonlmm

Oct 21, 2017
How the hell are we supposed to diagnose it from afar? We're just throwing darts at a board. Only person who's going to be able to tell you anything of value is that mechanic you are taking it to. Dont know why you'd keep driving it in that manner after teh first time it did that, either.

Id lean toward trans if its in 4th/5th upshift while WOT with a 120hp tune. BUT it could be a hub, too....

Moved to LMM section, too.

I’m not asking you to diagnose it over the internet bud. I’m asking people what their thoughts are on this. I am clearly taking the steps to get professionals opinion. Like I said took it to a trans shop today and got some answers that I mentioned. Will be going to a diesel shop tomorrow to have the motor checked out and everything else. I kept driving it because It’s how I make money and have 3 mouths to feed I was not driving it hard before and definitely not after the signs I got. Sometimes you do what you have to.

So anyways why would a hub do that?

Washingtonlmm

Oct 21, 2017
Wouldn’t a bad hub be causing issues a good majority of the time? Cuz the slip and shake isn’t and issue unless you’re hauling ass in 4th and 5th.

Washingtonlmm

Oct 21, 2017
To anyone that has a similar issue I got the word back today from the diesel mechanic. I need injectors. He hooked up his computer did all the tests and basically the truck needs 24-25k pounds on the rail 1st gear was good 2nd it drops off 3rd even worse by the time it hits 4th gear it’s around 10k psi on the rail. It’s returning an ass load of fuel. That’s why the truck shakes when your at wot Really felt like a transmission issue. The guy said 5400 bucks for oem installed out the door does that seem like a good price? Should I look around and how hard are these to do myself. I’m pretty decent with a wrench.

Washingtonlmm

Oct 21, 2017
WOUld the mechanics computer show him that it is returning fuel or would he just be guessing that? He said my balance rates were really good.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
You can replace lines but the condition typically causes the cp3 suction side to wear prematurely and cause problems pulling vacuum to get enough fuel. What you are feeling is most likely the truck staving for fuel. Log it and find out before you chuck parts at it though...

Washingtonlmm

Oct 21, 2017
You can replace lines but the condition typically causes the cp3 suction side to wear prematurely and cause problems pulling vacuum to get enough fuel. What you are feeling is most likely the truck staving for fuel. Log it and find out before you chuck parts at it though...

Ya makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. Would the mechanic see that it is returning fuel? And weird thing is before it ever had this problem if I got on it too much it would throw a low rail pressure code it did that once or twice. The tune would suck the fuel dry my fuel filter life would even read 0 life until I cleared it because it would limp. So I just wonder why now it won’t throw any code or limp if it is only getting 10k on the rail.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
It's not returning fuel, it can't get enough and yes you can see it...

How would you know that maybe he tested the return rates?

You cannot test injectors just with the computer he has to do a fuel return test. It involves pulling the Return lines loose and measuring the amount of fuel that the truck is returning within a given amount of time.

NC is right it could just be the hoses collapsing. However since you continue to drive the truck when it was setting codes the pump might be done to. Maybe injectors too. You need to fine out that test have been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mfittin

Jul 22, 2016
I know this is a couple months back so you may have resolved the issue but on my 08 LMM when using the race tune at WOT I got a shutter/shake and always thought it was the trans...only did it on my biggest tune. I decided to check fuel pressure at the filter head at WOT and it was dropping to like 3-4psi, turned up my air dog and it hasn’t done it since. Now it just defuels hard at shifts but that’s only to save my transmission :D

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I know this is a couple months back so you may have resolved the issue but on my 08 LMM when using the race tune at WOT I got a shutter/shake and always thought it was the trans...only did it on my biggest tune. I decided to check fuel pressure at the filter head at WOT and it was dropping to like 3-4psi, turned up my air dog and it hasn’t done it since. Now it just defuels hard at shifts but that’s only to save my transmission :D

Your lines were probably collapsing, lift pump pressure is making up for it. I dropped tank, modified pickup and vent then ran new lines to filter head and cp3. Made a huge difference, I had to turn my pump down bc it freaked out my FPR. Lol...