LBZ: Help hogdog is sick

hogdoghd

Adrenalin Junkie
Jun 24, 2008
Oxford, Ohio
OK, I had a pull last week and did great! everything was fine I drove home with no problem and it ran great. the next day I went out to start it and wow what is that noise!:eek: As soon as I fired it up it sounded like a sever heat shield rattle, only there is no heat shield? the sound went away as soon as the trucks oil presure jumped to 60psi, less than a couple of seconds, then the noise went away. Well I changed the oil and put lucas in, changed the fuel filter, loaded stock tune and it seemed to get better, uh nope! I decided to drive it to work and holly Sh!* when I got to work the noise was so bad it sounded like a air hammer on a piece of tin. The thing is as soon as you touch the throtle just a tick the noise goes away:confused: I checked the injector ballance rates and they never went more than -4 to 1. The truck still runs great, no miss, no oil spewing out, no real signs of piston crack?:confused: The problem is the noise is so loud I cant tell exactly were its comming from? every were I go to listen and try to find the culprit, it sounds like that is were its comming from, under it, over it, drivers side, pass side, tranny, turbo,AHHH its terrible! I do have 60% over injectors, Oh yeah I keep getting a p2610 code and a p2510 code WTF? any one have any ideas? or seen this? thanks in advanced

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
I dunno why those codes would set, but my guess would have been your flexplate. was there anything in your oil when you changed it?

hogdoghd

Adrenalin Junkie
Jun 24, 2008
Oxford, Ohio
no oil looked good, It could be the flex plate. the stupid ass codes will not go away as soon as you clear them they come right back

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
OK, I had a pull last week and did great! everything was fine I drove home with no problem and it ran great. the next day I went out to start it and wow what is that noise!:eek: As soon as I fired it up it sounded like a sever heat shield rattle, only there is no heat shield? the sound went away as soon as the trucks oil presure jumped to 60psi, less than a couple of seconds, then the noise went away. Well I changed the oil and put lucas in, changed the fuel filter, loaded stock tune and it seemed to get better, uh nope! I decided to drive it to work and holly Sh!* when I got to work the noise was so bad it sounded like a air hammer on a piece of tin. The thing is as soon as you touch the throtle just a tick the noise goes away:confused: I checked the injector ballance rates and they never went more than -4 to 1. The truck still runs great, no miss, no oil spewing out, no real signs of piston crack?:confused: The problem is the noise is so loud I cant tell exactly were its comming from? every were I go to listen and try to find the culprit, it sounds like that is were its comming from, under it, over it, drivers side, pass side, tranny, turbo,AHHH its terrible! I do have 60% over injectors, Oh yeah I keep getting a p2610 code and a p2510 code WTF? any one have any ideas? or seen this? thanks in advanced

p2610 is a ecm pcm internal engine off timer performance. it could be the flex plate. we can look at it if you wanted to bring it down just llet me know if i can help

Last edited:

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
When i read this thread right after it was posted that was the first thing that popped to my head was flexplate. But he said it only does it tell it warms up. When my flex plate breaks it does it countiunes

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
When i read this thread right after it was posted that was the first thing that popped to my head was flexplate. But he said it only does it tell it warms up. When my flex plate breaks it does it countiunes

to a point i have busted 3 and they all have sounded different .

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
does it sound like a injector fuel detonation clank or a metal clank more like a rod bearing . By the way you described first fire up , sounds like it had no oil pressue for a moment . Is the noise the same as that first fire up rattle or different . Maybe oil pump gear is loose . ?? The oil pump is right under water pump behind timing cover . Try to pin point the noise location .

Could it be the injectors , Ive heard another truck with over injectors clank something fierce and it was injectors .

Or maybe bolts came loose on reluctor wheel and it is out of timing , I had that happen to me on my truck with 700 miles on it . Still ran for about 500 miles but acted weird as hell and would only run over half throttle . And it clanked alot out of time .

In the past for me the flex plate I cracked I heard at shifts when load came off it . It sounded like sheet metal tear noise . Or if it was flex you should hear noise difference as you go through the gears . Something .

Get a stethescope with probe and try to identify where the noise is coming from . Best way to localize the noise .

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Long shot, but maybe an exhaust leak? Flexplate could just be loose, or converter? Could be somthing in the trans? Could also be waterpump bearing chatter? or some other drive acessory? Idler pulleys/
If none of the above, drop the lower oil pan, pretty easy, see it theres any crap in it and can inspect things somewhat. and wouldn't hurt to cut open your old oil filter to look for metallic bits:eek:

just trying to name off some ideas!:hug:
Hows oil psi? Might verify it with a mechanical test gauge?

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
see if you can narrow down the noise like they were saying. there could be number of things that would cause it see if you can narrow it down a point of the motor or drive train

Last edited:

hogdoghd

Adrenalin Junkie
Jun 24, 2008
Oxford, Ohio
Oil pres is great, the noise gets worse when hot but it is only at idle! as soon as i bring it off of idle the noise goes away! its stupid! I am going to get a stethascope today to see if I can pin point the location, truck runs good its just that hammering sound, like an air hammer on a tin roof. I will check the flexplate
Thanks
Tommy

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
to a point i have busted 3 and they all have sounded different .

I agree

does it sound like a injector fuel detonation clank or a metal clank more like a rod bearing . By the way you described first fire up , sounds like it had no oil pressue for a moment . Is the noise the same as that first fire up rattle or different . Maybe oil pump gear is loose . ?? The oil pump is right under water pump behind timing cover . Try to pin point the noise location .

Could it be the injectors , Ive heard another truck with over injectors clank something fierce and it was injectors .

Or maybe bolts came loose on reluctor wheel and it is out of timing , I had that happen to me on my truck with 700 miles on it . Still ran for about 500 miles but acted weird as hell and would only run over half throttle . And it clanked alot out of time .

In the past for me the flex plate I cracked I heard at shifts when load came off it . It sounded like sheet metal tear noise . Or if it was flex you should hear noise difference as you go through the gears . Something .

Get a stethescope with probe and try to identify where the noise is coming from . Best way to localize the noise .

Exactly

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Oil pres is great, the noise gets worse when hot but it is only at idle! as soon as i bring it off of idle the noise goes away! its stupid! I am going to get a stethascope today to see if I can pin point the location, truck runs good its just that hammering sound, like an air hammer on a tin roof. I will check the flexplate
Thanks
Tommy

When my bolts came loose of my converter it would be very noisy at idle but when I just gave it some throttle it would go away. Don't remember if there was any change with temps

hogdoghd

Adrenalin Junkie
Jun 24, 2008
Oxford, Ohio
I have a stethoscope comming tomorrow will find this little bastard noise and fix it! Thanks everyone will let you all know the verdict tomorrow hopefully. Dave thanks man I'll talk to you later!:hug:

hogdoghd

Adrenalin Junkie
Jun 24, 2008
Oxford, Ohio
I am working on it today! We had a massive power outage and storm had a lot of home repairs on my house, dads house and several friends so its been a busy week will let you know any updates:hello:

hogdoghd

Adrenalin Junkie
Jun 24, 2008
Oxford, Ohio
Ok Finally got the time to really check it out. It is the flex plate, its wasted but the good news is the gm replacement is only like $125 bucks because it is a two piece design :rolleyes: I dont know? Hey thanks every one for all the advice and concerns this is a good network of knowledge and experience here:hug: