Help! Broke off part of LB7 glow plug

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Long story short, ended up breaking the glow plug strap right next to the power wire. Decided that I better get that fixed. Went to remove the glow plug nut, and it snapped off. Went to the next glow plug nut and it moved a little, then it snapped the lead inside the glow plug. I have been hitting them with diesel fuel snd WD40, but so far no luck.

Biggest fear now is that the end of the glow plug is still sitting in there, and I don't know if I should fire it up and drive it. Searching other posts shows some guys without any problems. Others warn it come loose and take out your engine. This is a 1 owner, 102k mile LB7. Attached is a picture of what broke off of the stuck glow plug, and what the other half looks like that is still stuck in the head.

Any advice about how to get these out, or even how to get the stupid nuts off would be helpful.

Attachments

• 20210907_140301.jpg
    20210907_140301.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210907_140202.jpg
    20210907_140202.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 47

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Forgot to add, that I tried to get on it to weld a 5/16 nut to it but there isn't much standing proud. Is it time to start drilling it out? Some have shared that some plugs get frozen in there and really can't be drilled out, so just leave it.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I'd leave it, I live in the salt belt. I have spent hours and hours of welding, heating, cooling, air chisel hammering around the area, drilling. Easy outs. What ever.... You name it, I've done it. 3 of them I failed at.. and luckily enough a machine shop got them out and save the head / threads.

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Appreciate the feed back, but was hoping for better news. Sounds like using the air hammer extension is supposed to be the recommended method, but wasn't sure if others had any luck doing it. Any hopeful results are welcome at this point.

I am really not wanting to have to pull the heads is I don't have too. Have a bad feeling of running into more broken bolts! Also don't have a great feeling about just leaving the one glow plug in there with the broken electrode connector. I'm all for running it, but would rather at least get that one out.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
i have 11 years of working on these things. and i personally only broke one. the rest show up to my shop and the owners are begging me to fix it cause so and so broke it off. Unfortunately, i havent been able to get them. But i usually will spray them and heat cycle the engine for a week straight or so and i can eventually put a 3/8 electric impact on and hold it with minimal power and they will back right out. I am extra careful now pulling them out.

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
try to weld a washer and nut onto it, heat cycle the engine and pb blaster it like yngdmax said

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
A quick updated on how things turned out. First off, thanks for those who said patience and yes, it can be done. Second, the main tool that you should get is the air hammer 3/8 drive tool that Merchant or others sell on-line.

What worked for me was soaking the glow plugs and heat. By soaking, I mean drive you truck for a week and when you get to work, soak them. When you get home, soak them again. The other key thing that you will need is heat. When I originally got the air hammer driver, I tried it ... engine was cold .... nothing! I made sure and didn't crank on the glow plugs since I had already broken #3 off and ended up drilling / using an easy out to get it out. This was not fun!

So after soaking them for a week, I got home and immediately drug out my tools and tried #5 (easy to hit and easy to drill out if needed). Amazingly enough, it did just like Merchants video showed .... put some torque on the driver and it slowly started to come loose. Used the wrench for about 1 turn, then grabbed my ratchet and it came right out! Went ahead and did #7, then #1 and they also came right out. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do any others that night, but was hopeful.

Next time, drove the truck, got it warmed up, and tried the drivers side .... started on #6, and it came out. You will likely need an extension to reach past the power steering hose and all the wiring looms in you way. Don't worry, the tool and method still works! For #8, the extension will be right up against the firewall, and most likely you will end up using the open end of the 3/4 wrench. This one took a few more thumps and some more torque, but it also came out. For #4, you need to drop the steering shaft down and then it will just like #6.