LB7: Head gasket?

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
As u guys know I've been saving up for a head gasket job because of my current symptoms. My symptoms are: Stiff upper radiator hose (even overnight), Pressure on cap after cool down (even overnight), carbon in reservoir, but I'm not using coolant. But after reading another possible head gasket problem story, it turned out to be the coolant lines to the turbo that was causing the issue. $5 hoses were the problem. So my question is based on my symptoms, could the turbo coolant lines be the issue? This would save me a great deal of money if this were the case. What u guys think?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
X2. Im not running coolant through the s472 so i have the lines blocked. I too am having headgasket failure symptoms, although sometimes my upper hose is not hard and sometimes it is. Sometimes theres pressure in the cooling system and sometimes not. Sometimes it uses coolant and sometimes it doesnt, that part seems dependent boost tho.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I don't see how that could possibly be the issue. If i were you i would just keep running it until you know for sure. Its not like its going to cost you more to fix it then.

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Usually if your burning coolant thats the final indicator that your head gasket is toast. Id just wait and see, how many miles are on your truck?

darkone98

Sep 12, 2012
Markerville, AB
I would spend the $60 on an exhaust gas detector from napa and put it over the overflow and see if there us a leak. I ran mine for about 20k on blown head gaskets, and the gasket was starting to rub on the 2 and 8 pistons. It is possible to snap a head bolt off in the block or hydrolock a cylinder from letting it go too far. Some people say the tester is not reliable, but I have never had any suspected head gasket that was blown return back a negative test, or vice versa.

dmax02

May 30, 2009
Taunton MA
If your not loosing coolant and the injectors where done without removing the cups and sealing them. I would say the cups are causing the pressure I had the same problem with my truck and sealing the cups fix the pressure.

shmittey

Oct 16, 2010
Central, MA
I ran with blown head gaskets for 30k... Was chasing leaking coolant for years before i got it fixed this spring. Started with the water pump, hoses, thermostat, grenaded heater core QD, loose hose connections many surge tank caps, etc. injectors were done, then turbo, the over pressurized cooling system was the only consistent symptom. Once all the weak connections were fixed it did not use a drop of coolant, no smoke, ran fine.

Freedom diesel did the work and if i remember right they said it was blown in an unusual place... I don't recall what Tim said.

Its better to just get it done than make excuses and chase ghosts, i wish i did years ago.

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk 4

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I had those symptoms for 2 years.. finally decided to tear it down and my HGs were leaking bad bad. Losing compression between #5 and #7 cyls also. I put grade Cs and studded it. Got my heads checked and surfaced at the machine shop, and pulled all my cups and resealed them to be on the safe side. I hate to say it but I bet its ur HG that's causing your symptoms.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure if I put my truck on kill and let it eat 40psi for a bit, I'll be missing some coolant.
Now I've been taking it easy on it for a few days, real small tow tune DD driving 15psi tops, it's 100*+ outside all the revealing time so the truck gets up to operating temp but never over heats even in traffic. I can park it over night and the next morning no pressure in the system, soft radiator hose.