Having a Trans Probem! (I Think)

bmos37

Nov 23, 2008
Gainesville,FL.
Just did a suncoast 4 build & although the trans seems to be able to hold, I am thinking that there is a problem somewhere & would like a few suggestions on what to do. Here is why i am thinking there is a problem!

(1) Very uneasy shift from 3 to 4 seems like it is hanging up between shifts but when i does shift 4th has got a good power band.
(2) I dont really get good crisp shifts (I think it shifted better before the build) You could acually feel the firmness in shifts at all times before the build.
not sure if it is just the different feel of the 1057 converter.
(3) If i am cruising & get on it, it dont really get going unless i can hit it hard enough to downshift.

I know all this may sound a little dumb but i think the trans that was in the truck before the build acually felt like it was holding more power to the ground up until 4 to 5 shift where it would then limp.

Any help would be great .

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
x2 kinda weird to pop up on a forum with a fresh build asking for help instead of the parts suplier ?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Why do you ask us about different turbos and pedistals, maybe you should call nathan next time.:happy2:

:hug: its ok little buddy , i understand its hard for you to face the fact that you spend all day talking about things you have never done , and get mad at those of us that actually give out info from experience ( actual use/knowledge of products ) . keep posative sunshine things will come around for ya ;)

:rofl:

And to address what your getting at , thats why I buy my products from guys like Nathan , Mike , Rob ect because i can call them for help even though sometimes they are not the cheapest option , they are the best at what they do . i dont buy from the cheapest vender and then call the expert and expect them to answer all the questions and let the guys underselling them make all the money . so yes to me it is important to ask who supplied the parts before i offer any help . many can disagree with that mentaility and thats ok to each his own .

Last edited:

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
Why do you ask us about different turbos and pedistals, maybe you should call nathan next time.:happy2:

Apparently you don't possess the talent required to read the title of this thread...

If you have any other non-related posts to make, please send me a PM...

Back on topic now...

bmos37

Nov 23, 2008
Gainesville,FL.
:hug: its ok little buddy , i understand its hard for you to face the fact that you spend all day talking about things you have never done , and get mad at those of us that actually give out info from experience ( actual use/knowledge of products ) . keep posative sunshine things will come around for ya ;)

:rofl:

And to address what your getting at , thats why I buy my products from guys like Nathan , Mike , Rob ect because i can call them for help even though sometimes they are not the cheapest option , they are the best at what they do . i dont buy from the cheapest vender and then call the expert and expect them to answer all the questions and let the guys underselling them make all the money . so yes to me it is important to ask who supplied the parts before i offer any help . many can disagree with that mentaility and thats ok to each his own .

I dont think they were bought from the cheapest vendor as it is a suncoast build, I was just tryingt to get a little info on where i could start to find the problem. I guess i will just call suncoast!

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i am more than willing to help with your problem . that post was not directed at you .

have you reset your TAPS yet ? if so how many miles have been driven for the shifts to clear up ? any codes pop up since your build ? if it is truely not holding the power and slipping it will pop a code . sometimes the feeling of a converter can do what your describing ( too tight )

bmos37

Nov 23, 2008
Gainesville,FL.
i am more than willing to help with your problem . that post was not directed at you .

have you reset your TAPS yet ? if so how many miles have been driven for the shifts to clear up ? any codes pop up since your build ? if it is truely not holding the power and slipping it will pop a code . sometimes the feeling of a converter can do what your describing ( too tight )

I am hoping that this is what i am feeling because it has not popped any codes, I have put on a few thousand miles since the build & reset the taps 2 times.Maybe things will feel better when i get the bigger turbo installed.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I am hoping that this is what i am feeling because it has not popped any codes, Maybe things will feel better when i getthe bigger turbo installed.

if it is truely that "tight converter feeling" it will probably feel worse with the larger charger , pay atention the the boost and see if its having a hard time spooling the turbo ? i had a simaler result when i first built my trans , i went with the 1054 and for my altitude it was too tight made the truck much less fun to drive than before the trans build , switched converters eventually and it felt right again . not saying this is your problem for certain but something to consider .

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Somehow I don't feel you have a trans problem.

x2 could be a combination of things.... I would first check the tuning. I've seen on some PPE tuned trucks where the shifts defuel like crazy. Maybe get the Six Gun outta there and run just the PPE on say level 4 or 5.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I'm thinkin your Banks unit is defuleing to hard on shifts. I would pull the banks out.

On edit: turns out I should read the entire thread first. Paint beat me to it.

Last edited:

bmos37

Nov 23, 2008
Gainesville,FL.
x2 could be a combination of things.... I would first check the tuning. I've seen on some PPE tuned trucks where the shifts defuel like crazy. Maybe get the Six Gun outta there and run just the PPE on say level 4 or 5.

I guess i should redo my sig! The Banks has been gone a long time.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
Put on a fresh fuel filter first then reset TAPS, do a bottle test on the fprv and make sure you are on the 350hp tune. (Level 9 on the ten tune versions) Report back, were gonna get this fixed.