Harmonic balancer puller for 6.6

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
L
I am not sure. It might just be drilled for the custom reluctor on the back. I was looking at the fluidamper standard unit and it looks like a normal 1 piece unit.

For the two piece unit, looks like the first half is pressed on and the second gets bolted to that

obix

Jul 9, 2023
That Banks is a sweet looking balancer, I may need to go that direction next. I torqued my balance down at about 20 ft/lbs.... I crawled up under the hood and stomped on the end of my 2' long 1 7/16" wrench about twenty times 😁🍺 Seems to be ok, I drove it most of today with zero issue.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Why aren't these things made with a split taper or quick disconnect bushing? Seems like it would make assembly and removal so much easier. Wouldn't take a large breaker bar or any specialized tools. No pullers, etc. Just a simple box end or socket wrench will do. And the diameter of the bore and shaft doesn't have to be as close tolerance. They grip extremely well. You would think the aftermarket would have started using them

Something like this for those unfamiliar
View attachment 116342
Those work great for certain applications. In the auto world, I can imagine belt alignment becomes the issue. Right now the balancer pulley bottoms out on the crank aligning the belt grooves with the rest of the accessory pulleys.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Those work great for certain applications. In the auto world, I can imagine belt alignment becomes the issue. Right now the balancer pulley bottoms out on the crank aligning the belt grooves with the rest of the accessory pulleys.
I can see alignment being an issue and having to reposition the bushing to get it right. But I'd take that any day over the pressed on one

Reactions: juddski88

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Since when? I have done 3 in the last 6 months and they were too tight actually.
Last one I did was 3-4 months ago at the shop, it was tight but didn't require any excessive force. I was able to put it on with a short wrench using a DHD installer whereas the last ATI used took maybe a small ratchet so not much force but seemed to be greater interference fit.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Last one I did was 3-4 months ago at the shop, it was tight but didn't require any excessive force. I was able to put it on with a short wrench using a DHD installer whereas the last ATI used took maybe a small ratchet so not much force but seemed to be greater interference fit.
So they were an interference fit...

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So they were an interference fit...
I would disagree on the last one I installed. I could have likely pushed it to fully seated but I always use the installer tool regardless as it's a great habit to get into.

I've certainly had some Fluidamprs that needed to be opened up as they were too tight of a fit, I'm simply saying in all the ones I've used they are usually far easier to install than an ATI as the old design fluidampr did not have a great way to remove it like the new ones do so they may have been a bit looser.

The newer design fluidamprs (which the last one I installed was not) have threaded holes in the front face for removal.

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
My attempt... Its late so I took these pictures quick. First I made a puller like the original poster to pull the balancer off. Then I needed to remove the drive gear with the reluctor. This was after getting the crank back from balancing so it was out of the block. But they used the wrong key in the wrong order and it got everything stuck.

The lower half is removable so it can be installed under the gear and bolted onto the home made puller. Got the job done and everything was basically scrap left over stuff.

20230714_220609.jpg20230714_220623.jpg

Rylanwatts

Dec 5, 2023
Nephi, UT
Old post but this is what I came up with. Made quick work with the balancer! Pin had sheared off and got jammed making the balancer a pain to remove. Only problem I’m running into now is the old pin sheared off in the crank shaft is down in there pretty good lol. If anyone has had experience with that I’d appreciate some input!!

Attachments

• IMG_8298.jpeg
    IMG_8298.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8299.jpeg
    IMG_8299.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 1FastBrick