hard steering

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
My truck does this also, 305 55r 20s torsion bars cranked. I think there are 2 problems here, 1 is poor geometry with the torsion bars cranked, 2 were taking the trucks steering outside of its design limits (geometry & wider tires).

I looked into modding the steering pump for a little more pressure http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/index.html click on the tech link.

I decided to wait and do the pump and hydraulic assist when I did my sas & 38s this spring. West texas seems to have the best prices I have been able to find also.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I did the assist piston on mine. Absolutely no issues turning the wheel even with my fat tires and a heavy load on the truck.

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
i did the assist piston on mine. Absolutely no issues turning the wheel even with my fat tires and a heavy load on the truck.

care to elaborate on this? Hey, i remember that truck. merchants spring fling 3yrs ago.

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I bought the parts from West Texas Offroad, but put them together a little differently than most. In Short, I replace the stabilizer with a hydraulic piston and tapped the steering box to supply fluid to the new piston. Long story is a little more involved....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

ghostrider01

on here to learn!
Dec 6, 2009
NM/WY
does anybody know where to get a good steering box that has no backlash in it
i bought one from autozone and it is not any better than what is on it know
i want to be able to drive and not have to turn the wheel half a turn before the truck responds, all the other steering components have been replaced so it has to be the steering box

I over heard a guy having the same problem with like 2 different steering boxes that he bought brand new from parts dealers and they were doing the same thing as his bad one. Finally he went to a junk yard and got one from there and the one he got from the junk yard actually fixed the problem! :truestory: