Gun safes

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Looking at buying a good sized gun safe
I'm interested in seeing what people have, like what brand, size, pros & cons
I'm thinking of one that holds around 25 long guns, some pistol storage & space for important documents
Some type of heater/dehumidifier
Going to put it in my basement since my doorways going into the rooms are 32" & I don't really have a good place for it on the 1st floor

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I have a smaller champion. Really like it, smooth lock operation. Also a plus they rate for a higher temp than most store brands. I'd either buy champion or superior safe, but I'd didnt have the funds for a superior.

Woodrow

Apr 24, 2014
Personally I have a Liberty. Buy bigger than you'll need, my mistake. Don't cheap out on a safe, buy quality.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Liberty makes the best safe imo. I see a shit load of field and stream safes at work that look beefy as hell but I still feel the liberty is better.

bfmine

Sep 11, 2011
Cape cod,ma
I have the redhead 1856 collection I think it's the bass pro store brand. It has a good fire rating compared to the others in its price range. Text me if you want pics. I'm not a fan of posting that stuff on the internet

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I'm gonna have to give champion or superior safes another vote. They're really nice safes and you can pick them up reasonable. I've been in the market for one now about 3 years. Looks at tons of different ones. But in the end I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a champion or superior.

American Security safes are also really nice. They have a solid poured fire barrier instead of layered fire board.

Liberty safes build cabelas safes.

The winchester safes are bad. But they not all made in the USA. They're starting to make more in the USA but you have to watch.

I refuse to buy a Chinese safe.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Start comparing the weights of similar sized safes, you'll find out which ones are junk real quick.

Also look at the gauge of sheet metal, how many steps the door jamb has, and the number of live door bolts. Some cheaper safes only have live bolts on 2-3 sides of the door.

A Winchester or cannon safe is enough to keep the kids out :D

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
the biggest thing to look at is the door bolts on the hinge side, if they have none don't buy it, alot of safes dont

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Went to Bass Pro last night, really looked at 2 safes
http://m.basspro.com/Browning-BXT-41-FireResistant-40Gun-Safe/product/2310382/
I liked the 72" height so I can still have shelves above the long barreled shotguns & the quick access door rack
Didn't care for the hammer finish & no pistol pockets on the door
http://m.basspro.com/Browning-MAXUS-FireResistant-Gun-Safe/product/1412191558/
I liked the smooth look, the door rack & fire rating
Unfortunately it's only 60" high & no pistol storage on the door

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
American security here.

like anything else, anything can and will be broken into given the time. make sure it's hard mounted to the floor and any extra wall around the safe will cut down on pry points

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
I don't know if you know or care, but most "safes" being talked about are actually "residential security containers" as rated by UL. Buy whatever you want, but sometimes the "features" being added don't, or at least haven't been tested/proven to do anything to make them more difficult to get in to. They can add cost though.

There is tons of info on the net obviously:
http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/2/

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/gun-safe-fire-rating/

You can put 1,000 bolts around the door, but an 18v battery cutoff wheel or an axe won't really care since they are going to go through thin sheet metal in about 5 seconds anyway.

On the other hand, anything is better than nothing, and a true burglary performance rating on a safe adds quite a bit to the cost. Just thought I'd put this out there to help you decide.

Good luck!

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I don't know if you know or care, but most "safes" being talked about are actually "residential security containers" as rated by UL. Buy whatever you want, but sometimes the "features" being added don't, or at least haven't been tested/proven to do anything to make them more difficult to get in to. They can add cost though.

There is tons of info on the net obviously:
http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/2/

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/gun-safe-fire-rating/

You can put 1,000 bolts around the door, but an 18v battery cutoff wheel or an axe won't really care since they are going to go through thin sheet metal in about 5 seconds anyway.

On the other hand, anything is better than nothing, and a true burglary performance rating on a safe adds quite a bit to the cost. Just thought I'd put this out there to help you decide.

Good luck!

Nothing like a good education. That was all new to me....Makes sense though. I know mine holds no where near what it's rated for..... And as far as breaking into it, I didn't wanna hack up a good safe. :D

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Liberty put theirs to several tests showing that a cutoff wheel, torch, sledge and several other tools used to bust shit open wouldn't go through. Plus alot of theirs have good fire ratings, a safe should protect your investments and documents from fire just as good as theft.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Liberty put theirs to several tests showing that a cutoff wheel, torch, sledge and several other tools used to bust shit open wouldn't go through. Plus alot of theirs have good fire ratings, a safe should protect your investments and documents from fire just as good as theft.

Yeah I'm sure they did. "We did an investigation of ourselves and found nothing wrong." They don't have actual ratings other than RSC. I'm not saying they are a bad product to that end, but let's not confuse theirs or anybody else's self ratings with actual standards.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Yeah I'm sure they did. "We did an investigation of ourselves and found nothing wrong." They don't have actual ratings other than RSC. I'm not saying they are a bad product to that end, but let's not confuse theirs or anybody else's self ratings with actual standards.

No it was all 3rd party testing