Got Sludge?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I can't stand watching most mechanic videos on YT, he's one of them. Sorry but that oil sludge is NOT from doing 10k mile changes
Agreed. I do my oil changes on the recommended intervals and never had sludge. That sludge looks like it was contaminated with something other then oil

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
He seems to pump out work and have a ton of equipment but his face and voice are like a cartoon character. Especially when he seems exasperated about something that he is working on.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Agreed. I do my oil changes on the recommended intervals and never had sludge. That sludge looks like it was contaminated with something other then oil
I agree. I've gone 20k unconventional oil and my engine was very clean at 190k when I did my head gaskets.

In fact. I've had machines that haven't had the oil changed in years and i've never seen oil that bad. Now i've had it to the point where it almost won't drain off the dipstick. But that's not just oil in the video.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Lake politely reeled him in if you read between the lines, but i would have preferred him to be a little more vocal about it. He stated that oil analysis is the way to go, after the whole 3,000mi or you don't get a warranty from me crap was being spewed. I find a lot of this akin to reality TV - it isn't reality. I saw one yesterday where he cartooning (as above) on camera about a dmax that had to have something "ingested" and how the customer was going to have to get an OEM intake... no one examined the turbo (which was fine) and at the end the truck was repaired and the aftermarket air intake was reinstalled, lol. I remember one of our members talking years about about the "reality" on Diesel Bros when they "dropped" an engine, hehehe. Nothing we watch is real :)

Reactions: 2004LB7

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
I only posted this because I found it FUNNY, all that 'sludge' pouring out of an engine. Of course it isn't oil, or at least not entirely oil. Maybe some of the chemical you can add to an oil drain pan to solidify or gel the old oil after a change. I don't know really what it is. And it's way too much oil for any engine. And you all know that. Unwad your panties gentlemen. On to better things.

Reactions: Dozerboy

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I only posted this because I found it FUNNY, all that 'sludge' pouring out of an engine. Of course it isn't oil, or at least not entirely oil. Maybe some of the chemical you can add to an oil drain pan to solidify or gel the old oil after a change. I don't know really what it is. And it's way too much oil for any engine. And you all know that. Unwad your panties gentlemen. On to better things.
I don't think anyone was bashing you. They where criticizing the guy and his info in the video.

I do know that biodiesel combustion gases mixed with oil can cause some polymerization and thickening. If you read enough stories people will say that you need to change your oil more often to prevent it. Or do routine sampling. I wonder if this is what happened

Reactions: N2BRK

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Analysis is the only way to properly run extended intervals IMO. Any oil these days will run an OEM interval it seems. Personally I'm a big Hot Shot's or CenPeCo guy for engine oils as neither have done me wrong and it's hard to argue with their performance. That's not saying others are bad, simply my preference.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
The most interesting thing out of that video was hearing the stuff about Europe and diesel additives. That right there made me want to start using additives.