Got a new head unit on the old LBZ.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I agree, it is insane in 2022 we can't do it via wireless. I think the reason comes down to bandwidth that bluetooth can support but who knows.
i think its more of a lock down issue. screen mirroring means videos and what not can be played right away (something the car industry cant allow from factory). i dont think apple/android have a way of locking down that feature to car screens as of yet but i also feel its not been a main point for them either. Hence it being dragged out.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Im grumpy and cheap lol, but I'm not a fan of those piggyback FM transmitters. I feel like they are always a pain to get a clean signal with, or because I travel a lot I had to change stations a lot. I'm hoping the GPS and everything on my phone will work ok on this one, but I won't hold my breath. The only real problem with it on my phone is I hate having GPS talk to me so the sound is off. Then I tend not to pay that much attention to it and miss my turns or changes in my route due to traffic.
I bought a Bluetooth adapter that has an aux cord so no need use the fm part

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
the grumpy old man in me is coming out. I just want factory radio with Bluetooth. So I use a $15 Bluetooth adapter in the cig lighter.

I have never been in something that had working car play that I liked.

Although having nav on the dash would be nice sometimes.

If this is not your radio they have others as well. I am dying to try this out.

Reactions: Dozerboy

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
There are wireless versions that act as if it is plugged in. I haven't seen this from any OEM but I have seen it in the aftermarket. Look at "The Magic Box" or "Stream To Your Car" as they're very very similar devices that "simulate" a phone essentially. They allow full streaming etc.
Audi and Mercedes have some models with wireless CarPlay from the factory.
I swear I saw GMC did as well on a '22 or '23 model as well.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Audi and Mercedes have some models with wireless CarPlay from the factory.
I swear I saw GMC did as well on a '22 or '23 model as well.
Wireless CarPlay on a 2022/2023 Ford Maverick is a joke. It only supports music/calls (like bluetooth) and not maps etc which is the biggest selling point IMO of CarPlay/Android Auto.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I bought a Bluetooth adapter that has an aux cord so no need use the fm part
That's not a option on the classic trucks. If it was I probably wouldn't even about a new radio.... lol

I think we could install a Bluetooth at the cost of XM or Onstar, but that seemed like a lot of work.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Wireless/wired "carplay" is one of the biggest advantages to the android based head units. There's nothing you can't do on them that you can do on your phone. I really kind of wanted one to be able to run the torque app on my truck.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
There are wireless versions that act as if it is plugged in. I haven't seen this from any OEM but I have seen it in the aftermarket. Look at "The Magic Box" or "Stream To Your Car" as they're very very similar devices that "simulate" a phone essentially. They allow full streaming etc.

its more the point that the tech is there and there is no reason we should need to drop more money on an acc to use as it as it should be.

I agree, it is insane in 2022 we can't do it via wireless. I think the reason comes down to bandwidth that bluetooth can support but who knows.
Wireless CarPlay has been a thing for awhile now. GM has had it for a couple years, it works just like it does when plugged in, and for me, that means it works great. Aftermarket has had it for quite awhile as well, but I haven’t installed an aftermarket deck with it yet to comment on how well it works. But like most things, buy a good brand deck and it will likely work well.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN

If this is not your radio they have others as well. I am dying to try this out.
That is neat and stuff if you are doing a restoration, but you will be light years ahead in function and usability by just doing an aftermarket deck. Aftermarket will show the name of the caller on the screen when ringing, and give you in call options and a million other things. Totally worth it to just go aftermarket.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Looks good! I am not a big fan of the volume buttons instead of the knob though. Probably just a thing to get used to though as most double dins do it like that now.
The main reason they stray from the knob is to maximize screen size. A knob takes a lot of real estate.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I think we could install a Bluetooth at the cost of XM or Onstar, but that seemed like a lot of work.
Yeah you can install an aux port from the xm but you won’t lose the xm. My ‘07 had it wired in and I used both. Then you could get a Bluetooth adapter and plug it in to the aux port.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yeah you can install an aux port from the xm but you won’t lose the xm. My ‘07 had it wired in and I used both. Then you could get a Bluetooth adapter and plug it in to the aux port.
^ You won't lose XM support from what I understand, it is an in-line harness that intercepts what heads to the radio.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's not a option on the classic trucks. If it was I probably wouldn't even about a new radio.... lol

its cause your truck is too new. i had the old school AUX option in my 02. cassette to 3.5mm jack adapter :ROFLMAO:. that thing worked awesome. When i changed decks to the pioneer from the factory one, it went away though.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wireless CarPlay has been a thing for awhile now. GM has had it for a couple years, it works just like it does when plugged in, and for me, that means it works great. Aftermarket has had it for quite awhile as well, but I haven’t installed an aftermarket deck with it yet to comment on how well it works. But like most things, buy a good brand deck and it will likely work well.
wonder if i can do a retrofit into my 2020 then

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
@Hoser Oh I know why they did away with the knob. Just think it looks like chit. The only thing an aftermarket unit will have over that which I posted is sound quality which could be potentially mitigated with an amp. Sure you can't have nav and bluetooth calling or a big honkin screen, but who needs that anyway? :) I literally just want my own music that is all. I put my phone in the console when I drive, no texting or calling.
Not everyone's cup of tea though and I understand that.

@Bdsankey Ouch that sucks. No this one is completely wireless with every function.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
@Hoser Oh I know why they did away with the knob. Just think it looks like chit. The only thing an aftermarket unit will have over that which I posted is sound quality which could be potentially mitigated with an amp. Sure you can't have nav and bluetooth calling or a big honkin screen, but who needs that anyway? :) I literally just want my own music that is all. I put my phone in the console when I drive, no texting or calling.
Not everyone's cup of tea though and I understand that.

@Bdsankey Ouch that sucks. No this one is completely wireless with every function.
For the cost of that radio you posted I'd rather buy an aftermarket head unit for the same cost that has increased functionality like navigation etc.

It is a neat for sure.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
i was thinking for of a flash change in the computer but that may not be the case. for 800 bucks, ill just keep plugging her in :ROFLMAO:
LOL! I agree, and honestly, since you have CarPlay when its plugged in, I just set it down and don't worry about the cord because I'm not using the phone. But if you did lots of shorter trips and in and out of the truck a lot I could see where the wireless would be nice.

Reactions: Bdsankey

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Not quite sure what your talking about exactly. It's just a double din radio with an universal install bracket. Double din is the size. A lot of the older radios where Single din so they didn't take up all the space of GMs factory head units. That's not the case anymore with the big screen on most new stuff. I did modify the brackets and mounting holes a little to get it to to sit square and centered in the dash.

The dash bezel I guess you'd call it. I was thinking that the older GM radios weren't a true double din and you had to change/modify the dash