Going for 9s? In the zf?

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Been a while since I posted. Honestly I have atnt now and my service sucks so bad I more often than not can't even load the home page of this site. Anyway last race day I had my truck was spewing white smoke and not running well, we thought we lost a cylinder with having a wet glow plug delete and +11 balance rate on cylinder 7. Loaded it up and got it home, finally got around to doing a compression check. Cylinder 7 was 290 psi cylinder 5 was just under 300 so not super big difference. Put a new pig tail on that injector since it was pretty f'ed Up. That didn't do anything, did a leak down compression test with a 10% loss was good from what I looked up. Swapped number 7 injector to cylinder 5 and the problem didn't seem to follow it at first anyway, but next day the problem was on cylinder 5 for sure. I had a few iffy balance rates so I swapped what seemed to be the problem injector out for an old stocker but swapped the big nozzle onto it and during that realized it had what looked to be water and fuel come out of the injector. Checked the fuel tank to find some pretty nasty yellow cloudy fuel. After a few flushes and did the gm fuel injector cleaner all balance rates are now 0 or plus or minus 1. Thinking it's getting water in the fuel cell cap. So now that that problem seems to be fixed and my race trans is finally on the way back we can start trying again.

Last race I got my 10.9s without being able to full throttle shift that problem has also been addressed and she has a bigger shot of spray this time around. Honestly not thinking it will hit a 9 without alot more setup work and maybe a little more fuel but who knows we are gonna try. I definitely think is has a sub 10.5 in it for sure, honestly just happy the compression test came out ok. Should be up and at em again within a few weeks and we are gonna give her all she's got once again and see how far we can push this budget truck.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I dont see why you couldnt. You've accomplished everything you set out to do so far. Go kick some more tail, Jesse. :thumb:

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Jess love all the hard work and dedication you put into this truck! I hope you achieve all your goals this go around. Big fan I am!

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I dont see why you couldnt. You've accomplished everything you set out to do so far. Go kick some more tail, Jesse. :thumb:

Thanks bud i definitely am grateful, truck hasn't given us to much grief for what we put it through. And people seem to love the truck. And I wouldn't be where I am today without this forum and all you guys and your knowledge. We aren't gonna give up anytime soon we just have to much fun to stop.:thumb:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Just had a similar issue with mine too, I had to drain my tank and I swapped filters and stuck the lift pump hose in a 50/50 mix of fuel and cleaner and let it run, mine didn’t smoke but it sounded like shit, all better now.

I hope you see 9’s on that stock motor, it’d be a hell of a combined accomplishment with a stock bottom end and a zf6, good luck bud.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Just had a similar issue with mine too, I had to drain my tank and I swapped filters and stuck the lift pump hose in a 50/50 mix of fuel and cleaner and let it run, mine didn’t smoke but it sounded like shit, all better now.

I hope you see 9’s on that stock motor, it’d be a hell of a combined accomplishment with a stock bottom end and a zf6, good luck bud.

Yeah crazy what nasty fuel can do. Mine was missing pretty badly, still reeled in a golf gti in a roll race though lol. Smoked her out with white first then black lol. Yeah we're hoping to get some good runs in before winter sneaks up on us. Been down most of the season so far but still hit my 10s so already checked off a goal this year.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Ok we got a test day in. After battling n20 noids not working for over an hour we had to switch back to my small .063 noid. The big one wouldn't work with bottle pressure, but would click after pressure was purged off with the bottle closed. Wouldn't do the cool 2 step launch control thing so I couldn't leave with boost. So I started spraying the truck on the limiter seconds prior to dumping the clutch, still bogged :mad:.

Basically just bogged on the line every pass except the last pass, with the n20 being used bottle pressure dropped (400ish) and we went back to the big noid with a .125 jet and kicked the heater on. Aired up the tires and took the cold lane no one had been running in to get some tire spin to try to prevent it from bogging. With a tune update from mark after hours, (thanks bud) it did the 2 step launch control thing. So finally we did a 1.6 60 foot, hit 4th and 5th. When I hit 6th it started pulling towards the wall on the left hard, like hard. I kept in it and pulled it back right til I crossed the line to find out i didn't have power brakes. Dropped her down in the gears and got her slowed down. Lost the serp belt which means also lost the dual fuelers when I hit 6th and still ran an 11.05 at 122. With full spray another good launch and maybe not losing a belt I thing we can go deep 10s no problem. Was a fun day and we really got our heads wrapped around what we gotta do to make this thing launch consistently.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
picture.php

A pic from wednesday, need to getbthe bottle filled and get back out there. Obviously I had some smoke to clear up with spray lol

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Bottles filled, belt fixed, swapped turbine housings, addressed some wiring issues. On track to get sh!# done Wednesday evening.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Ok got 2 runs in.
1st run best 60 foot so far 1.51 didn't hit 4th gear worth a crap got a big nitrous backfire oops. Got it in gear and rest of the pass was good ran a 12.2.

Next pass spun the tires, shifted all gears well felt like another 10 second pass, went to slow down and realized I lost my serp belt again..and lost power steering and brakes. And my dual fueler but was still sprayng a hefty shot so I think she ran on the lean side and messed up some stuff seeing as how the truck front to back and top to bottom is covered in oil from blowng out the dipstick and rear main seal. Making some noise so we gotta rip in to it finally which sucks it's not how I though this engine would go lol.