Going back to stock or stay aftermarket

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I am thinking of putting a stock turbo back on my truck, I have mostly driven it with the S366 and twice with the ats 3000, and never with the stocker. I need/want quicker spool up and better mpg. I now have a stock turbo that I need to rebuild and maybe put a batmo wheel. With me not wanting to push my truck much, so I don't want to make a bunch of power, what would be the best option?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
What kind of mileage are you getting now? A 366 shouldn't cause you any fuel economy issues, I wouldn't think. Maybe your right foot is the problem:D

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Stock fuel can severely over fuel the OEM IHI. With those 30% overs you'd have to dial it back a good bit to keep it clean enough for DD duty...

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Wtf???? That's not good... Have you talked to Tony about it? Who's 30 overs are you running?
The weather has been getting better and do has my mpg, on the highway it is fine, I just don't know if should drop back to the ats 3000 or stocker or just stay with the set up I have...

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Damn , I've ran a couple different turbos , stock and built trans and a myriad of aftermarket parts....I've NEVER seen ampg drop below 11.

I drive for smiles per gallon too, not economy:joker:

I don't think the turbo is the issue....

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Well, almost 8 years and many changes later I am back thinking about this again. I haven't been much over 60% throttle in like 4 mouths and I am loosing the desire to DD temperamental higher power truck. What are peoples thoughts on getting a complete stock engine and trans to put in and use the old set up to put in my C10 so that project will maybe that actually would go somewhere. With the price of diesel it would be nice to see fuel mileage up in the mid to upper teens as well.

Reactions: SmokeShow

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well, almost 8 years and many changes later I am back thinking about this again. I haven't been much over 60% throttle in like 4 mouths and I am loosing the desire to DD temperamental higher power truck. What are peoples thoughts on getting a complete stock engine and trans to put in and use the old set up to put in my C10 so that project will maybe that actually would go somewhere. With the price of diesel it would be nice to see fuel mileage up in the mid to upper teens as well.
i mean, thats the route i went accept i bought a new truck and sold the old one. i miss the diesel performance side but thats what friends are good for lol

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
what makes it temperamental?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
what makes it temperamental?
It doesn't like temps below 50 degrees, runs really rough, smokes like crazy until it gets some descent temp into it. The during the summer intake air temps are about 150 and the truck is pretty lazy . Then there are random other things that happen like reverse will randomly not working with out restarting the truck/clear some TQ code. It's more little thing that are really annoying.

Reactions: reese600