Gm mdi module vs tech 2

heathgu

Mar 6, 2007
Sunshine Coast, QLD Australia
Hey everyone,

I need to purchase tech 2, but i stubbled across these gm MDI modules.

I was wondering if these do everything a tech 2 can do but are more up to date. I need the tech 2 mainly for transmission fault finding and putting the allison into the fast learn after rebuilding the transmissions.

Any info would be grately appreciated, also any gm techs out there who have used the new mdi module what are your thought.

I am in Australia, so not sure how i would go about updating this in the future. But i am sure i can find a way.

Any one know were i can purchase a original not a chinese copy from also? I have looked at ebay, but so many copies how do you tell whats not fake anymore.

Cheers Heath

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Get both one does all old and current trucks and the other will do all new when they need it..... done!
You can get them updated at any dealership or pay for the GM service.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
There is a program called tech2win that allows you to scan any vehicle the tech2 would.

Gds2 is the program used on some new vehicles since 2010 such as camaro, lacrosse, terrain, regal and some of the caddies also.

I don't know how available tech2win and gds2 are to the general public. I think they are required to make them available but they don't have to make it cheap or easy.

Dave Shane

Sep 28, 2014
GM Tech 2 is able to work on GM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU/Holden vehicles. GM MDI works on GM, Opel, Chevrolet, Saab vehicles.

Next, they differ in supporting vehicle year:GM MDI support older vehicles from 1990 to the newer vehicle up to 2013. While GM Tech 2 covers vehicles from 1992 to 2010.

Then, they share some differences in function.GM MDI supports WIFI wireless basic diagnostic, programming, offline lease function. It is compatible with Tech2win diagnostic software which supports adding latest software. GM MDI is a PC-based diagnostic tool which can be used directly working with a laptop.

Tech2 is able to carry out on-board basic diagnostic function but cannot programming. The Vetronix Tech 2 comes with Authentic GM software.

Finally, GM MDI supports following protocols UART, Class 2, KWP2000 and GMLAN (CAN) while GM TEACH2 works more on CAN interface.