Gm injector cleaner

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
would you recommend bg 44k or 244 for diesels?

i ran it for about a year in every fill up (my buddy was a BG dealer) and plugged up my fuel filter every 5k. It made the truck run as smooth as 2 stroke oil but i think it was pickin up trash off the bottom of my tank and runnin it through. My balance rates never liked it either. i still have two bottles of it sittin on my shelf here i wont use.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
i ran it for about a year in every fill up (my buddy was a BG dealer) and plugged up my fuel filter every 5k. It made the truck run as smooth as 2 stroke oil but i think it was pickin up trash off the bottom of my tank and runnin it through. My balance rates never liked it either. i still have two bottles of it sittin on my shelf here i wont use.

Good to know, thanks for the input :hug:. I had just started doing some research on it as i was considering running a can of it through my truck but i think now im going to go this route instead.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Just wondering what would be the big deal of just dumping it in your tank ? Thoughts are for reasoning is:

1) Possible debris returning to tank.

But would that not be taken care of by the filters on the return trip? Here GM is just using a 1/2 gallon of non filtered diesel as part of the mixture so they could conceivable be letting debris enter your system anyway. Even the container they use to hold the diesel whts the guarantee that that is clean?

2) Dilution on the product being mixed into so much fuel in the tank tht it would render it useless or to weak to work.

What if you ran your tank down to say a 1/4 and put in 4 bottles? :roflmao:

How much is the stuff anyone know? I'm just pondering this band-aid and it's effectiveness. A quart of 2 stroke in 34 gallons quiets my motor anyway! :D

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
we used to use a product available at shops only that was part of the Valvoline professional service series line of products. it was administered with a can hooked up to the supply and return lines and the truck was ran until the can ran dry. then when you were done you poured another product into the tank. I hate services like this but this one did actually work. I brought some +8 and better balance rates back in on injectors that were missing VERY badly.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/valvoline-professional-series/fuel-system-service/93

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
The fuel/cleaner isn't unfiltered, you hook up before the filter.

I think the reason they don't want it in the tank is purely that the stuff works best highly concentrated.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
The fuel/cleaner isn't unfiltered, you hook up before the filter.

I think the reason they don't want it in the tank is purely that the stuff works best highly concentrated.

Oh I kind of thought that as the possibility of adding additional debris would be pretty dumb. I also figured the high concentration factor also ,working best, but say you added it as a additive for a few tanks if it would do anything.

What is the cost it's probably ridiculous anyway. I'm not big on these band-aid additive fixes regardless. Most auto part store shelves are filled with these type of items for gas and diesel if you think about it.

Anyone interested in some Slick-50? Or how about that molasses stuff that cures cylinder wall gouges and stops oil burning? :roflmao:

Just saying for years they have came out with a lot of snake-oil "slick" additives. None has really proven to be worth a shit.

The king of additives, Marvel Mystery Oil,Oh Yea!! :D

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
I have run the GM stuff and it lowered my rates a little not as much as some said it did but the biggest diff was how smooth the ideal and acceleration was after.
Ended up takeing an hour and a half to run it through and I just used an old winsheild washer bottle so I could see what was returning and two 3 foot pieces of rubber hose and two clamps and just set the bottle with the hoses up on top of the driver battery.
I think the price was either 16 or 18 dollars from the dealership dont remember for sure but it was under 20.
Also I forgot to run some good additive in my tank right after so this might be some of the reason my rates didnt drop as much and all of my rates are under 4 anyway.

DieselDummy

Dirt Dummy
Oct 13, 2011
NY
They are on driver side near the big harness connectors, one is 1/2 and other is 3/8, look like silver bell looking things.

Sent from the road!!!!!
03 lb7 CC/LB

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
So how long did it end up running and did you notice a difference?

It ran for a total of 2hrs and 15min. It seems to run quiter and smoother now but i also only have about 23k on these injectors but i figured it would be good preventative maintenance and it wasnt a hard chore at all.

Ronjt

May 30, 2009
I stumbled onto this thread after I applied the GM injector cleaner treatment.

My problem was my #2 injector had popped up to a +8....it was creeping up from +5. I had not checked it in months and when I did a few weeks ago...well I was surprised.

Injectors have about 57k miles around 3yrs. Trucks runs good and economy is good but +8 is not good.

So I applied the treatment..took 2hrs 10min. I drained the fuel filter and reused it, primed by hand and waited. While it was running I was checking the rates in park. Now my park bal rate was +4-+5...so also bad. After the 1hr 45min time the bal rate on #2 started to drop. It got down to +3.

I was in a rush and had a 2hr trip planned and thought a long trip would help any fuel washdown. So I just got back and the #2 injector in Drive now reads +3. The other injectors are also all a little better.

Time will tell if this holds up, but for the price it is worth a try.