Glow plugs

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
What kind of glow plugs do y'all recommend to run in the LBZ Duramax? Found out I'll need to change mine before too long

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Good deal. Any recommendations on the cheapest place to order them? I don't have to replace them right away because it's still hot down here in Texas, so I can take some shipping time..

I think I got them from Autozone. I doubt they'll be much of a difference in price in glow plugs

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
Okay thanks.. Again, completely new to the diesel game, just want to be 100% sure before I get the wrong shit.

No problem your welcome sir

Btw Summit sells for 19 ea, prices around the diesel scene are the same 19 to 27 ea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
Thanks again guys! Bare with me, don't know what different things to get for this truck. I'll learn it :D

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
2 years without them here but it don't get cold here lol

Mine usually sits all winter, except for the occasional push it out of the garage and post useless cold start videos
Gets nice and raw with 100 overs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
2 years without them here but it don't get cold here lol

That's why I said I don't need them right away, it's hot here in southeast Texas lol. But winter can get cold down here, and that check engine light for the plugs is just pissing me off. It starts up perfectly fine, but I know this winter that may not be the same situation.....

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've had mine down to 15-20 degrees for a couple nights. Cranked right up in the morning without issue. Actually started better than when it was an lb7 and had glow plugs lol.

You can turn the codes off with efi live. That's how mine is set up. No intake air heater either

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
I've had mine down to 15-20 degrees for a couple nights. Cranked right up in the morning without issue. Actually started better than when it was an lb7 and had glow plugs lol.

You can turn the codes off with efi live. That's how mine is set up. No intake air heater either

Man my only concern is that a friend of mine with a 2002 7.3 has said when his glow plugs were bad, starting up on a cold winter morning was a bitch. Not sure if it's the same case on the Dmax. Either way, I'm going to replace them. Check engine light OCD...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Man my only concern is that a friend of mine with a 2002 7.3 has said when his glow plugs were bad, starting up on a cold winter morning was a bitch. Not sure if it's the same case on the Dmax. Either way, I'm going to replace them. Check engine light OCD...

By no means can you compare a dmax to those old dinosaurs. Completely different fuel injection system as well as much better computer controls and engine engineering in a dmax.

7.3s live off glow plugs when they cold start. If they don't have good plugs, they don't start for crap even in warm weather. A duramax may cough and sputter on a cold cold morning with a few glow plugs out but it will fire up

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
7.3 doesn't want to start below 40 without plugs. I can't start mine in the teens and colder with no warm up.

I have a few out and I've considered just deleting them. And we get single digits and negatives up here every winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk2429

May 30, 2017
Texas
By no means can you compare a dmax to those old dinosaurs. Completely different fuel injection system as well as much better computer controls and engine engineering.

7.3s live off glow plugs when they cold start. If they don't have good plugs, they don't start for crap even in warm weather. A duramax may cough and sputter on a cold cold morning with a few glow plugs out but it will fire up

Well that's complete news to me. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
My father in law has a Ford 6.0... if its under 40* and he didn't plug it in... you might as well take a different vehicle. Its terrible...