Glow plug module , no check engine

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Ok, I changed all the glowplug and still they wont light.

When we put the scanner it says something along the lines of glow plug control module open circuit .
Basically, my glowplugs dont light up.

I disconnected the power wire from the module and it tests fine.

The check engine doesnt light up ...

Im not finding lots of infos on lly module, plenty on 2006 up and 2003 down.

I can't use the truck as it's winter.

I'd like a wiring diagram of that module, all the small wires, so i can probe around

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
I got the wiring pinout for the module. I will test tomorrow.

Dealer wanted 25$ to print me the pinout. Had to talk to the Dealership Manager to get it free.

Do your dealer charge for that? One would think it comes as support after sale...

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
absolutely none are working . it's cold and wont start without block heater after a cold night.

-8c is the coldest it will start at, with rough idle and white smoke.

Pretty sure either the glow plug controller isnt working correctly, or the wiring to it has a problem

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Po670 is the code IIRC Main power is okay so the fuse is good

Made in germany...

Still no check engine light, although the code is there and ive read it should throw a CEL...

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Replaced module. Module gets power and wirring to all glow plug and glowplugs are good. Still very rough start at -10C ~20F and below. Truck Runs good when warm.
I don't see a huge increase in voltage when the WTS cycle stops...

Could it be related to my WOT limp ? Or a bad ECT sensor ? Just throwing ideas while I wait for my scanner

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Ok, was -11c without windchill. took 20tries to start it. No glowplugs.

Re-briefing:

Ignition 12V (pink) to glow plug controlleur module is good.
Ground (pink with colored line) Good as well.
All 8 pins to glowplugs test fine with testlight with other lead on battery +
Glowplug controller is new.
Large wire from 175 fuse has 12V.

Maybe there's corrosion or voltage drop under load of this large cable.
I'll keep updating as I find more infos.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Rechecked connections, cleaned the fuse's contact. PLugged into the large power wire and twisted the fusible link to see if there was a break in there. None found.

Unless im missing something, the new glowplug module is also bad. The wait to start light functions correctly.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Never found the issue, the new module started working again by itself. No amount of code clearing could make it work, so I guess after x amount of starts it cleared up.

Truck started all winter

ssg_johnson07

Jun 6, 2015
Veikra,
I also have the same issue. Where is the module located? I cant seem to find anything that shows exactly where the module is located.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Veikra,
I also have the same issue. Where is the module located? I cant seem to find anything that shows exactly where the module is located.

It's on the back of the driverside head. It's square, black and has a round thing in the middle. 2 plugs, a big one with lots of wire, and a small round one with a single power wire.

My trucks lights all 8 glowplugs, and no codes presents. I think the glowplug were causing the module to stop responding to the ecu. It took a while for the new module to finally decide to work after replacing all 8 plugs and the module itself.