LMM: Glo plugs

Alaskan

Oct 28, 2018
Hi all. I am new to the forum and hope to find some answers here. I have a 2008 LBZ and have had 4 glo plugs go out since I bought the truck in 2010 and it now has about 150,000 miles on it.

The code said it was the #1 glo plug circuit. I am getting conflicting information as to what side the #1 glo plug is on. Diagrams on the internet show it up front and some say passenger side and some say driver side.

I replaced the front plugs on both sides and the check engine light remained on for two days and my remote start would not work. Today I noticed the check engine light had went off and now my remote start works. What the heck and where is the #1 glo plug?:confused:

I have more questions, but this is it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
08 would be an LMM not LBZ unless it had an engine swap.

Right front is cylinder #1 so I would assume that would also be glow plug #1.

Usually if one goes the others aren’t far behind so I would suggest changing the rest out too. Or at the very least all the ones on the side that was bad originally.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Right front as LBZ mentioned. Who’s glow plugs have you been buying? I would suggest oem only, especially if your in Alaska. Glow plugs are pretty important up there.

Alaskan

Oct 28, 2018
I must be slow, when you guys say right side, is that passenger or driver side? The letters LBZ are on back of my 2008 Duramax.

I disconnected batteries for 10 minutes to clear code as I was changing glo plug. The code came back after a few starts and then cleared itself the next day and is still not showing today and remote start works. Using AC Delco plugs.

Alaskan

Oct 28, 2018
Well it is working now Ne-max, so I won't be taking it to a shop. But, the code showing up and not clearing and then clearing for what ever reason, that is beyond my level. Apparently knowing my left from my right is beyond my level also.

Changing a glo plug is on my level though. I think I will dig the old glo plugs out of the trash and see if they test bad.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I must be slow, when you guys say right side, is that passenger or driver side? The letters LBZ are on back of my 2008 Duramax.

I disconnected batteries for 10 minutes to clear code as I was changing glo plug. The code came back after a few starts and then cleared itself the next day and is still not showing today and remote start works. Using AC Delco plugs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramax_V8_engine

Trust me. You don’t have an LBZ in your 2008 from factory.

95fbb8dc31ad87a4482bff68ff85e5af.jpg

Alaskan

Oct 28, 2018
It does say LTZ on back, now I feel really stupid, nothing easy about this aging process.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Hi all. I am new to the forum and hope to find some answers here. I have a 2008 LBZ and have had 4 glo plugs go out since I bought the truck in 2010 and it now has about 150,000 miles on it.

The code said it was the #1 glo plug circuit. I am getting conflicting information as to what side the #1 glo plug is on. Diagrams on the internet show it up front and some say passenger side and some say driver side.

I replaced the front plugs on both sides and the check engine light remained on for two days and my remote start would not work. Today I noticed the check engine light had went off and now my remote start works. What the heck and where is the #1 glo plug?:confused:

I have more questions, but this is it for now.
The ECM will clear the DTC itself after x amount of successful tests. Most DTCs take two successful tests.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sorry guys, I screwed up. I didnt pay enough attention. I corrected the prefix and put the thread in LMM.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
I must be slow, when you guys say right side, is that passenger or driver side?

Using right and left in many cases is problematic. Drive down the road and take 2nd drive on right. Well, what if you're coming from the other side? Same directions apply? Right and left on a car? Same problem, although there is a presumption about what is meant, IF YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT PRESUMPTION. Right = passenger side, left = drivers side. So, as you are sitting in the drivers seat, right and left; not looking at the car from the front. It happens a lot.