General tires suck

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Almost worn out in just over a year, and the left rear blew out on the Alcan Hwy. Now I'm looking for a new set of tires.

I think I'm probably going to get a mud terrain this time. All the rednecks and farm boys down here have them, and I want to fit in.....

I have 18" Ultra Motorsports wheels with a +12 offset. Current size is LT275/65R18E. I want to go a little bigger this time, wider for sure. Stock height with about a 1" crank on the torsion bars. I'm willing to do a little trimming, but don't wanna start hacking the shit out of my truck. What are your guys suggestions for size, brand, etc?

Last edited:

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Current wheels and tires, last year.
1863d084.jpg

Side view of truck to show ride height.
A2A17773-5247-4078-8D2F-04401645D800-8249-00000D56FC2D8B74.jpg

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Hey Roger. I know you're looking for a mud tire but I really like the Toyo's I put on this year so far and they do come with a warranty. You might want to look at these too.

Here is the thread I started when looking for tires so you might find something here too.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46563

By the way I noticed you moved to the lower 48. Might want to consider changing your user name :D

Attachments

• Toyo Tire.JPG
    Toyo Tire.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Toyo Tread.JPG
    Toyo Tread.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 49

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Hey Phil, glad you're liking those tires. I was doing some searching earlier & found your thread, but no follow-up. Have you had those new tires in any mud yet?

About my username. I need to put some thought into that. On another forum I'm a vendor & moderator, and don't want to alienate myself too much. But I don't have that truck anymore, AND I'm not in Alaska anymore, so I guess it's time!

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I do like them. Very low road noise (there is some, they're not Michelin's). I've had the truck up to my Uncle's cabin. The 1/4 mile road it the cabin is gravel and loose river rock, some mud but not so deep that a good portion of the tire gets buried. Keep us posted on what you decide on.

zeke38

Sep 29, 2009
Newark, IL
Telling people they lasted only a year is a horrible way to describe tire life... did you drive 100 miles or 100,000 miles in that year? I loved my nitto trail grapplers. 33" lasted 55k miles

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
We put those toyos on my mom's 4runner almost 2 years go. I can't vouch for mud use (I imagine they suck just as bad as any other a/t unless you spin the bejesus out of them) but after over 30k miles they don't even look like they've hit 1/2 tread yet.

I had toyo open country m/ts on my lly for a few thousand miles and they were wearing fast. Part of it may have been from being tall and skinny, 255/85/16, but I still felt they were wearing to fast. I doubt I'd have gotten much past 30k miles with them. Have you looked into the nitto trail grappler? It's pricey but it's the best m/t out there imo.

sent from a galaxy far far away

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
I like my nitto mud grapplers way better than the MT mtzs I had only thing is they are loud but it doesn't bother me

Roll Tide!

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
Telling people they lasted only a year is a horrible way to describe tire life... did you drive 100 miles or 100,000 miles in that year? I loved my nitto trail grapplers. 33" lasted 55k miles

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I love mine and I got over 62k out of my trail grapplers and still had some tread left to the wear indicators.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Telling people they lasted only a year is a horrible way to describe tire life... did you drive 100 miles or 100,000 miles in that year?

You're right. They lasted 17.5K miles, they are at 4/32" tread now. They were rotated and rebalanced 4 times, and the truck only towed a heavy load one time, for 3,000 miles or so. Zero burnouts, zero racing, and "spirited" driving once in a while. Most of my driving is back & forth to work, or chasing parts & expediting for my business.

Yeah, I know how these diesels wear tires fast. I ran a large tire shop in AK for 3 1/2 years, but most guys could get at least 30K on a set. But I've hated these crappy Generals from day one. They are way too noisy for an AT, and the traction was sketchy too. They rode stiff as hell too. The only thing they had going for them was that they were black & round. But they were already on the truck when I bought it, and they were brand new. I couldn't justify getting rid of them.

I've always bought tires with performance being more important than tire life. If they work well, then I'm okay with them wearing out sooner.

This is my 3rd Duramax. My first one (2001 HD3500) got converted to 10 lug Alcoa's with Michelin 14 ply 19.5's, wish I had a picture of that thing to post up. Second was a 2003 HD2500, and I put ProComp X-Terrain 33x13.50R18's on it with a lift/leveling kit. Those tires were on that truck for almost 4 years until one got slashed. They still had about 50% tread on them.

Rollin35s

May 21, 2013
Wasilla, Alaska
Ive got Mickey MTs on my leveled duramax, and I had the toyo mud terrains on my old gas truck. Personally I liked the toyos better, they're quieter and run a bit wider than the Mickey Thompsons. I cant say anything about longevity for either though, both have only been on for about 5k

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Ive got Mickey MTs on my leveled duramax, and I had the toyo mud terrains on my old gas truck. Personally I liked the toyos better, they're quieter and run a bit wider than the Mickey Thompsons. I cant say anything about longevity for either though, both have only been on for about 5k

Thanks for the input. How are you liking that Duramax compared to your old gasser?

What size tire are you running on it, and how much did you have to crank up the front end with the leveling kit?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Tires also vary by retailer. The bog guys like discount, WalMart, ford, Chevy, etc can order different compounds in the same tires.

Rollin35s

May 21, 2013
Wasilla, Alaska
Thanks for the input. How are you liking that Duramax compared to your old gasser?

What size tire are you running on it, and how much did you have to crank up the front end with the leveling kit?

There isnt a comparison between the two. As you know the half ton was 6.0 swapped, and was relatively quick for what it was. I practically stole the duramax price wise, so I could afford to have both for a while. The dmax is just running a straight pipe with a 120 (crank) horse ppe tune, and it blows my old truck away. Even on the stock tune they were very comparable, and thats with the dmax on 35s. The torque is what I really love, as well as the mileage I get with it.

I didnt use a "leveling kit", I just maxed out the stock torsion keys and I have Dmax store UCA's, shock extenders, and bilsteins waiting to be installed. Tire size is 35x12.5x16 on the stock wheels, and I havent trimmed anything. It rubs a little on the sway bar at full lock, but not enough for me to worry about :thumb:

TLKDRTYLLY

1833 AAV Crew Chief
Jun 9, 2013
Hampden, Maine
That's very strange. I had my General Grabber A/T 2 LT285/70R17 for 5 years. Got well over 60,000 miles out of them on 3 trucks total. That's with me street racing, trailer towing, beating the life out of my 8.1L and Duramax. No problem, they started to go bad when I had bad ball joints. Great traction in the Maine winters, low road noise and I noticed I gripped the road better with those than I do my street tires now. Maybe I just got a freak, super natural pair!

I'm not into the mudding scene, so I'll keep my mouth shut about that. I don't know which tire is good for mud. Just wanteImageUploadedByTapatalk1379856328.879062.jpgd to share my experience with you about the Generals and try and get that bad taste out of your mouth. :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379856328.879062.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379856328.879062.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 50

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I bought a set of the new style Mickey Thompson ATZs, I haven't gone offroad with them yet but they are hardly noticeable on the road like the original ATZs

blue8135

Diesel Addict
Dec 12, 2010
East Texas
I have the Cooper St Maxx. What little mud they've seen, they have done well. Low road noise. Been on for about 30k and still have some life. Just bought some 18" wheels and looking for tires. Thinking the toyo at-2. The have a 50k mile treadwear warranty