Help: Gauge cluster needles

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
So I took my cluster apart and replaced the stepper motor for the fuel gauge. Little did I know I didn't have to take the needles off but I did. Now I need to get them back on right. Anyone have any tricks to getting the needles back to their original position? Some are obvious how to but the fuel gauge is a pain. This year cluster takes push in steppers not solder in. Hopefully Ben will chime but any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Im about to do lights in my cluster, all the research ive done says youre supposed to mark the location of the needle before removing.

I do not have an answer as what to do now....hopefully someone smarter than I can help

Good luck!

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
When i did my stepper motors and led lights when i put the needles back on I put them on facing far right and just barely got the needle on the pin and then pulled them to the left aka counter clockwise. I checked them against a edge cs my buddy has and they are as accurate is your going to get with factory gauges. I dont know if this works on the 01-02 clusters as mine is an 03.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
03 I'm pretty sure is when they went to the new solder on style steppers. It should work the same way. If I had access to a tech 2 or cts monitor I could set them all back to where they need to be. Don't have that luxury though.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I make sure they are all at rest (counterclockwise) before marking the position with a pencil. Pry the needle off and when ready to put back on, lightly turn counterclockwise as you start to push the needle on the stem, check alignment with your mark, and then push straight down if it is correct.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I make sure they are all at rest (counterclockwise) before marking the position with a pencil. Pry the needle off and when ready to put back on, lightly turn counterclockwise as you start to push the needle on the stem, check alignment with your mark, and then push straight down if it is correct.
That's the problem I didn't mark them and they are already off :-(
Filling the tank up would work but the needle went a little over full mark when filled.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
a scanner (efi, edge or anything with actual numbers will be your best bet for all of the gauges)

for fuel you can either do the fill tank method and get it close, it still has a low fuel light and you can just run what you have in your tank until that comes on and put it at an 1/8th tank when it does . the 03 + have a miles until empty in the info center.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
That's the problem I didn't mark them and they are already off :-(
Filling the tank up would work but the needle went a little over full mark when filled.

If you clock them an 1/8th to the left of the first tick mark then you'll be pretty damn close all the time

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Leave the needles off, plug the cluster back in, turn the key to run and then off again. All the stepper motors will reset to their "resting" position. Install needles. Simple and keeps them 100% accurate.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Leave the needles off, plug the cluster back in, turn the key to run and then off again. All the stepper motors will reset to their "resting" position. Install needles. Simple and keeps them 100% accurate.
I will try that. I was thinking the fuel gauge always stayed where it was even when the truck was off. But then again the gauge has never worked. Right now the fuel Guage doesn't move at all even when the key is cycled. I have tried putting fuel in it to see if it would move.....it didnt. So is it safe to say the sender in the tank is bad?

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
You may have timed the needle in the wrong position. Remove it , plug in the cluster. Cycle ignition on. Place the needle in the middle location lightly and then cycle off and on. See if it moves.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
I just left the gauge cover off until I got them all adjusted. With the tach and speedo, the needles should be on zero with the key in the on position (not started). With all of the other gauges I just cycle the key on and off until I can adjust them all to lay on zero when the ignition is off.