Gale Banks shooting for 200 mph in diesel-powered Sidewinder dragster

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
attachment.php

We saw Gale Banks' diesel-powered Sidewinder dragster at SEMA back in 2008, but that stationary display is not how the vehicle is meant to be experienced. No, this beast wants to move, and that's just what it'll do Saturday, March 6th at the Speedworld Dragstrip for NHRDA's Desert Diesel Nationals in Wittmann, AZ. There, the dragster is going to try and run the quarter-mile in the low-mid 6's "while emitting none of the black clouds of soot normally associated with diesel racing."

With 1,200 horsepower rumbling from its 6.6L Duramax diesel V8 from General Motors (or maybe something more powerful?) rocketing the Sidewinder down the track, we admit this isn't the greenest of vehicles – but if you can go 200 miles per hour, you might be able to change some minds about just what diesel is capable of. Banks said in a statement that this is his goal: "Diesel has cleaned up its act, and we're out to prove speed can come without the price of black smoke."

Attachments

• banks.jpg
    banks.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 181

farky

DIRT POOR FARM BOY
Jan 14, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
i guess banks builds some quality stuff but why does he have to bash the hooey out of the competition in every single stinkin advertisement he puts out????:confused:

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Yes, my understanding he is committed. Dragster not the truck. Too bad Schied isn't going to be there. Maybe get to see them run at Topeka in September at the DHRDA finals.

Had scheid ever gotten that thing to hook up? I've seen it run in person and online and while impressive to say the least not once did I see it not smokem and throttle it half way down the track

jbarker@bankspower

<Worlds 2nd Fastest Dmax
Mar 24, 2008
The latest:

After months of sorting out issues with the Sidewinder Top Diesel Dragster's transmission we're ready to start the onslaught of track punishment again. Only thing is we're not going about it with the same engine. Nah... that sucker was so last year! Since we're feeling pretty good about the entire set-up we decided to go ahead with "phase II" of our twin-turbo Duramax engine development. The result is the latest from our Gale Banks Racing Engines® division: the Sidewinder DRE "Stroker" engine. All of its special ingredients equal a brute of a diesel engine that comes out to a 427 cu. In., 7.0 liter!

[youtube]UGBcwGhuByI[/youtube]

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Yes, my understanding he is committed. Dragster not the truck. Too bad Schied isn't going to be there. Maybe get to see them run at Topeka in September at the DHRDA finals.

:eek:....NHRDA finals.....in Topeka......Kansas? If thats the case.....

:D:D:D:thumb::thumb::thumb::dancenana:

Last edited:

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
The latest:

After months of sorting out issues with the Sidewinder Top Diesel Dragster's transmission we're ready to start the onslaught of track punishment again. Only thing is we're not going about it with the same engine. Nah... that sucker was so last year! Since we're feeling pretty good about the entire set-up we decided to go ahead with "phase II" of our twin-turbo Duramax engine development. The result is the latest from our Gale Banks Racing Engines® division: the Sidewinder DRE "Stroker" engine. All of its special ingredients equal a brute of a diesel engine that comes out to a 427 cu. In., 7.0 liter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBcwGhuByI&feature=player_embedded

Well that is cool as hell and really looking forward to seeing it run. As you know I'm a huge proponent of minimum smoke. The Banks engines are very impressive, would love to see you guys figure out the next step and get there totally without NOS. We make about the same HP with Max'd Out but not smokless. Ours smokes pretty good till the turbros light.

Good job gentleman, maybe we'll get a chance to chat in Whittmann and you and fill us in on some of the, "special ingredients"?

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
So would I, higly doubt id run my truck in topeka, just go to watch and meet some of you guys that go! God willing it will be on the road by then, ill drive it up there! Nice to have some diesel drag action round here! The finals here takes the cake!

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Had scheid ever gotten that thing to hook up? I've seen it run in person and online and while impressive to say the least not once did I see it not smokem and throttle it half way down the track

Yes I'd love to see it and the Schied rail run. I saw the Schied rail in Bowling Green, track was too slick to hold it.

im honestly starting to believe that no tracks out there can hold it........