Gains from boring block?

Duramaxordie

Dec 10, 2016
Yea I knew about the whish head would depend on ecm. How do I know which block I have its a core block that has been sitting on the shelf in the shop for years so idk what model it is, the casting number in the valley what I need to figure it out? As soon as I figure out which block I have will depend on the crank, can they not all be swapped out?

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Take a picture of the front of the block and post it up. Easy way to tell is the top waterpump mounting hole. 01-06 have a different location than the 07+. There are other things, but this is the easiest to ID quick.

Duramaxordie

Dec 10, 2016
5ffa251600d8e1599eb1fc4bbdb8b314.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
If you use LBZ heads you will be able to use either LBZ or LLY injectors. I'm not sure if LLY wiring will work with LBZ glow plugs, so you might have to put the delelte blanks in. If you're going with a new crank, LML are the cheapest and might hold up better.

Duramaxordie

Dec 10, 2016
If you use LBZ heads you will be able to use either LBZ or LLY injectors. I'm not sure if LLY wiring will work with LBZ glow plugs, so you might have to put the delelte blanks in. If you're going with a new crank, LML are the cheapest and might hold up better.
I am going glow plug deletes so I won't even be putting that module on. And a stock lml crank will hold to what power level??

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I am going glow plug deletes so I won't even be putting that module on. And a stock lml crank will hold to what power level??

No guarantee that any crank will last at any power level. They've broken in stock trucks! We've ran 2 used cranks in our 2012-2015 motors with no breakage. One is even still in use by someone. We ran a new LLY from GM this year pushing 1500hp but i havent torn the short block down yet to confirm its good. No apparent issues when last run anyhow.
FWIW Kyle Michael ran a Winberg billet for ~40 sled pull passes before it broke, but thats at 2500-3000 hp.

Duramaxordie

Dec 10, 2016
No guarantee that any crank will last at any power level. They've broken in stock trucks! We've ran 2 used cranks in our 2012-2015 motors with no breakage. One is even still in use by someone. We ran a new LLY from GM this year pushing 1500hp but i havent torn the short block down yet to confirm its good. No apparent issues when last run anyhow.
FWIW Kyle Michael ran a Winberg billet for ~40 sled pull passes before it broke, but thats at 2500-3000 hp.

Sweet! I am just shooting for around 1000-1200 whp. So a stock crank should be fine then!

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Just putting it out there. If going for that much power make sure the machine shop has a torque plate for a duramax. None around here had one.

Duramaxordie

Dec 10, 2016
I will the machine shop we use does alot of racing work not sure if they have one on hand for a duramax but I will definitely get one!