Fuel rail pressure fluctuates while driving!

pharoah95

Apr 30, 2014
alberta, Canada
Okay so I have an lb7 duramax just finished installing a built engine in and with the warmer tempatures I seem to be fighting a odd fuel problem. Does it more on warmer days 20c+, but if you drive the truck harder it'll do it on the around 15c days as well tho less frequently. while cruising at around 120kms fuel rail pressure around 13.5 it'll jump any where from down to around 3k psi to 23k psi usually more around 8k to 18k psi and you can feel the truck lose and gain power as the pressure fluctuates the desired will remain the same and only the actual pressure will jump around. It will do it at lower speed with a lower rail pressure. the fluctuation is usually less frequent and less of a big jump, under full throttle it seems fine as well and doesn't seem to lose rail pressure also it doesn't have a problem at idle and is fine at idle. so far I have tried swapping with another new regulator seemed to fix it for about 2 days coincidence maybe not sure as the same problem came back, I hooked a gauge up to the port on the air dog and watched it when the rail pressure fluctuates and the pressure from the air dog seems constant. So looking for advice and needing ideas

pharoah95

Apr 30, 2014
alberta, Canada
I have not checked the relief valve and I dont have it shimmed. I do have a spare one I can shim and install as my fprv is easily accessible. So you think that it may cause the problems.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Its was just a thought. LB7s dont suffer from this as much as the later years but it can happen. If it pops it can drop fuel pressure. When they start to pop they seem to start doing it more and more at lower pressure

pharoah95

Apr 30, 2014
alberta, Canada
Well I have another spare one lying around guess I may as well shim it and give it a try won't hurt anything by swapping it out anyways and if it happens to solve the problem awesome.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
not going to be that, id put money on it.

what regulator is on the stroker pump and have you sent any logs to your tuner?