Fuel pressure regulator

dproffitt

Aug 28, 2022
I'm needing to know the pin numbers on the ecm that corresponds with the fuel pressure regulator. Wanting to test continuity on the wire. Have had some mouse issues

2005 lly duramax

dproffitt

Aug 28, 2022
Well tested from pin to fpr and everything tests good. Still no voltage to the fpr with key on and truck throws code p0090. Truck cranks but won't start. I'm considering ecm is bad but am.looking for any ideas or second opinion beofr I spend that kind of money

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
FPR unplugged will still allow the truck to start. You have something else going on. Possibly a sensor wire that got nibbled.

Reactions: 2004LB7

dproffitt

Aug 28, 2022
FPR unplugged will still allow the truck to start. You have something else going on. Possibly a sensor wire that got nibbled.
Continuity was good from fpr to ecm. So shouldn't I be getting some voltage from the ecm. I wasn't getting anything with the key on

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
You're correct that there should be voltage, but there's something else going on too. No voltage to the regulator will just make it run full rail pressure, will still start / idle

Reactions: Bdsankey

dproffitt

Aug 28, 2022
You're correct that there should be voltage, but there's something else going on too. No voltage to the regulator will just make it run full rail pressure, will still start / idle
Nothing to the fpr is why I'm wondering if the ecm may have some bad spots. I figured there is more wrong. Just figure it all in the ecm. Truck fires on ether by the way.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Do you have a way of comparing desired vs actual fuel rail pressure while you are cranking? And if you start the truck, is the fuel pressure normal for the conditions in which the truck operates?

The fuel pump runs at full pressure all the time. The FPR is a solenoid that limits the pressure created by the fuel pump in the fuel rail. The Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor sends rail pressure info to the ECM so that the ECM can make the correct decision on how much to limit the pressure.

Reactions: 2004LB7

dproffitt

Aug 28, 2022
Do you have a way of comparing desired vs actual fuel rail pressure while you are cranking? And if you start the truck, is the fuel pressure normal for the conditions in which the truck operates?

The fuel pump runs at full pressure all the time. The FPR is a solenoid that limits the pressure created by the fuel pump in the fuel rail. The Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor sends rail pressure info to the ECM so that the ECM can make the correct decision on how much to limit the pressure.
The truck will not start unless you give it some ether and will shut off as soon as you stop spraying ether. If there is a issue with the fuel rail pressure sensor will that make the ecm not send any voltage at all to the fpr

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
but as mentioned above that will not cause a no start condition. you have something else going on. as stated you need to scan for actual and demand fuel pressure during cranking and report back with that information

dproffitt

Aug 28, 2022
but as mentioned above that will not cause a no start condition. you have something else going on. as stated you need to scan for actual and demand fuel pressure during cranking and report back with that information
I understand that it will not cause a no start. My question is is there anything that would prevent the fpr from getting any voltage like another sensor or a faulty ecm

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
a short to ground or faulty ECM. the voltage should be consistent with the return being a PWM control to ground.

have you checked the voltage to a common ground and not the FPR ground pin? have you measured the resistance of either line to a common ground?

Reactions: Bdsankey

dproffitt

Aug 28, 2022
a short to ground or faulty ECM. the voltage should be consistent with the return being a PWM control to ground.

have you checked the voltage to a common ground and not the FPR ground pin? have you measured the resistance of either line to a common ground?
I used a common ground (negative on battery) no voltage and checked ground wire and it was making good continuity. Checked continuity on both wires to correct pinout on the c1 connector and showed good continuity. Didnt check resistance. What would be a good number for that.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
about 1 ohm is normal.

maybe a dumb question but did you check it with ignition on in run position?

have you been able to scan for desired and actual fuel pressure? I think you would want to figure out why the engine wont run first then figure out the pressure regulator

Reactions: 08lmm72mm

dproffitt

Aug 28, 2022
Yes I've tested with the key on. And no question is a stupid question lol. Haven't checked fuel pressure. Figured if I find out what the fpr problem is that may solve the start issue cause the code never came up till the truck refused to start. Figured the 2 were related. Especially since there is no voltage coming from the ecm. Would a problem with the fuel pressure sensor cause no voltage to the fpr from the ecm

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I dont think the engine needs the fpr to run, it'll make max rail without it is what 2004LB7 is saying. Hook efi up and log FRP and DFRP see what it says while cranking.

dproffitt

Aug 28, 2022
I dont think the engine needs the fpr to run, it'll make max rail without it is what 2004LB7 is saying. Hook efi up and log FRP and DFRP see what it says while cranking.
I understand all that. I'm just trying to fix one problem at a time. And right now code p0090 is the only code up. My plan was to figure it all out and hopefully whatever is keeping the ecm from getting voltage sent to the fpr will be my issue. Even if it's the ecm it's self. I don't have a computer to hook up to it. All I have is a small code scanner. I'm working on getting someone out to hook a computer up to it hopefully soon. When the truck decide to not start on me this code came up at the same time.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
no start conditions rarely are accompanied with a code that is directly related to why it won't start. more common to have the no start creating other codes that go away once the engine is running. some like crank and cam sensors can be helpful but fuel pressure ones usually are not.

crack open one of the high pressure lines and see if you get fuel when cranking. if so then unplug the pressure sensor and see if it fires

Reactions: dndj