Fuel Leak?

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
Changed the oil yesterday and noticed what seems to be fuel dripping from the base of my engine right where the trans bolts to the block :mad:. I tried to look up the side of the block to see if it was pooring down from somewhere but can see a thing, look sdry to me. When i smell the fluid it doesnt even really smell like fuel but the only other semi-clear fluids are either P/S fluid or brake fluid and they dont appear to be leaking anywhere since all the levels are perfect. I looked at all the injectors and lines and its all bone dry up top. Anyone else ever have this happen? Engine runs perfect, so does everything else.. Its not a fast leak at all maybe 10-15 drips from sitting in the gargae over night.

Smokin LB7

Jul 25, 2008
Blown headgasket in cylinder 7 or 8? Might be coolant. Could be a leaking coolant line to your turbo.

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
Def not, my coolant is orange, not clear and my heads are studded. I'm just going to have to start pulling crap off the top to get a better view of whats going on.

Smokin LB7

Jul 25, 2008
It wouldnt be the first studded truck to blow a gasket. Besides, a little bit of orange coolant, is pretty much clear...but good luck

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
I think I know exatly what hose your talking about, it's only about 2 inches long and connect the two sides together, correct? It's right in the valley of the engine, total bitch to get to? When I had the whole truck apart I was going to replace it because it was kinked, guess i should have done that:violent:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
idk Its raining pretty bad outside today. But yesterday I taped a klean ex to a file and ran it into the engine valley between the y bridge and turbo. Felt around with it for a second and pulled it out. It came out clean so I don't think its coming from the cp3. Otherwise I'm sure I woulda got plenty of fuel on the tissue. Fuels covered my trans oil pan and crossmembers to give an idea of how much it leaks, and leaves probably a basket ball sized puddle overnight. Thise leak just came about within a week or two.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
check all your returns coming off the tops of the injectors. the tee's can crack and the hoses can dry rot.

AZBio

Sep 12, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Fuels covered my trans oil pan and crossmembers to give an idea of how much it leaks, and leaves probably a basket ball sized puddle overnight.

Sounds like we have the same thing going on. I'll look around on mine tonight and see what I can come up with.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
check all your returns coming off the tops of the injectors. the tee's can crack and the hoses can dry rot.

I had one leak on my number 3 a few weeks ago. I couldn't find an oring so I used gasket maker, I was afraid that I might clog the hole up. But I do not think that is, when that was leaking most of the fuel would burn off the exhaust manifold, and just leave a dip can size puddle overnight. But I guess I verywell could has cracked a tee in the line fixing it. Which brings a question on the o ring size. I tried a 5x9x2mm oring, that was abit big to fit into the injector.... Maybe 5x7x1mmm is the correct size?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Well It maybe the rail pressure sensor I will need to test that (hoping it is)... Today was raining so I couldn't (well didn't want) to do much. I do know its not anywhere in the return simply because with my lift pump running I don't see any leak, which with 12 psi. That has to be much much more pressure than what would build in the return without a lift pump.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Mine had the same leak, but only under WOT. If I babied it around town it would be dry, but as soon as I thrashed on it the whole bell housing and side of the trans would be wet. Very curious to see if anyone finds the source.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Mine had the same leak, but only under WOT. If I babied it around town it would be dry, but as soon as I thrashed on it the whole bell housing and side of the trans would be wet. Very curious to see if anyone finds the source.

Well thay points in the direction of a small leak in the high pressure side also. So could be the sensor.. I will check when I get back home. Gonna ramp up rail pressure and look for leaks

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

usafduramax

Sep 23, 2011
i had a leak, from my engine valley running down the back of the engine and dripping off my bell housing. my passenger side fuel rail had a loose bolt from when we changed my cp3, you could just barely see not that much fuel in the valley....