Fuel Gauge

20chevy04

Aug 17, 2011
Stuart ,FL
Hey guys so when i got my truck i ran out of Fuel at a quarter tank. i though it was the gauge itself so i put in a new cluster an still ran out just under the quarter tank mark. Does anyone have any thoughts or imputs. Idk if it is the fuel sending unit it cp3 or that valve not really sure. truck is completely stock no lift pump.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
GM has alot of issues with the float card on the sending unit in the tank. Some years only sell it as a complete unit and some of the newer years sell just a float kit(much cheaper) but some modification has to take place. A guy here at work put a float card for a 05 truck in his 99 Buick regal and it worked great. I haven't been involved in this sort of Sanford and son project yet so i dont have any further info for your fix. On a personal note rescaling my fuel gauge with EFI live corrected issues I was having with my fuel sender.

FordTechChase

PowerStroke Tech
Aug 7, 2011
McAlester OK
How much fuel does it take to fill up the tank when it runs out? Mine runs out at 1/4 also and I almost pulled the trigger on a new sending unit assembly till I realized it was only taking 19 gallons to fill it.

FordTechChase

PowerStroke Tech
Aug 7, 2011
McAlester OK
Yes the gauge shows 1/4 and its running out. I can take the belt off of my Mitusa pump and it will run the rest of the tank out. That is why I was asking how much fuel it actually takes to fill it.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Some guys have had draw straw or fuel pick-up issues, I personally have never seen this in a diesel tank yet but have seen many gas fuel pick-up issues.