Fuel Cells Legal in Texas?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I need to figure out what to run for a fuel tank on my C10. I do not want to use the factory tank/s so i am wanting to run a fuel cell. The truck is an 1982 model and will need to pass inspection. Thanks guys

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Fuel cells are not legal for road use. It is because they don't have a breather tube. It is a DOT thing.

As far as I know there is no cells that are DOT approved.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It's cause thy vent to atmosphere, john. All the fuel cells I've seen have breather tubes (they have to to keep a vacuum from forming in the tank)

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Looks like anything made after 1980 is not allowed to vent gasoline vapors into the atmosphere. Why do they have to make things complicated? So where do i vent it?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Looks like anything made after 1980 is not allowed to vent gasoline vapors into the atmosphere. Why do they have to make things complicated? So where do i vent it?

it must be run like the factory setup (through charcoal cansiter and such). Your next issue is the gas cap. your gunna have to figure out how to reuse the stock one.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Actually, you can't run a sump on the road either. But plenty of people do it.

yes but he has to go through an inspection so if the inspector feels what he put on it is not legal, hes screwed.

after its inspected, things can be "massaged" then :D. beadlocks are illegal too but people still run them on the street without issue

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
yes but he has to go through an inspection so if the inspector feels what he put on it is not legal, hes screwed.

after its inspected, things can be "massaged" then :D. beadlocks are illegal too but people still run them on the street without issue

Passing an inspection is not a problem honestly, it's more of a DOT pullin me over while i'm east bound IH-10. I just need as much weight as possible over the rear axle

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I am running a cell in my 01 that I drive on the street. For some reason I don't think it vents cause it seems to suck in a little when cool. Its a plastic. But most cops around here don't know the law to those details.

Make sure you have the output lines pointed towards the rear.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Passing an inspection is not a problem honestly, it's more of a DOT pullin me over while i'm east bound IH-10. I just need as much weight as possible over the rear axle
You really think they will bother you? All the DOT officers I've ever seen seem to be more interested in 18 wheelers.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
The cell in my race truck is mounted like in the picture because at the time NHRDA rules just said it just said it had to be in the stock location. I know this isn't Texas DOT or whatever, but would they really even look if it was out of sight? I fill it up by opening the fuel door and removing the factory cap just like any other Chevy truck.

IMG_0794-L.jpg