LB7: fuel/air/engine issues

Oct 6, 2015
So I have been down quite a path in the last month, after years of wanting a duramax Im finally there. I had a 5.3 1500 with 267k did tons of upgrades to it over the years, it had a real mean appearance so it grab the attention of a 16 year old boy. He lived close by saw my ad that I was trying to sell it and get a duramax, ended up that his father had a duramax that they had just decided to sell. So long story short he wanted my truck so we did a trade and I put some money on top walked out of a 2004 gas silverado with 267k into a 03 lb7 with 124k. Right off the bat when I got it she cranked a bit more then normal to get started I plan on doing tons of upgrades so I wasn't to worried figured id be able to fix it. They told me that they had rebuilt the filter head and that they didn't get the full kit so that was the reason for the issue and to just pump the primer and she wold start up. So first thing i did was rebuild the filter head and replace the hoses coming off of it. It ran great right after the rebuild, i was a little iffy that i had pinched one of the o-rings though. It very quickly went back to the same state, so I ordered another kit and rebuilt it again... same issue. Ive been reading all I can on here and other sites doing misc things. For some reason its really hard for me to tell whether the oil level has gone up it almost seems as if it has but then again it doesn't.. I did the paper towel test and to me this doesn't seem normal correct me if I'm wrong i can't get the oil to drip off the dipstick it clings to it and doesn't seem to want to come off so i just wiped it and according to what they say about there being an outer ring there is one.. If there is fuel getting in the oil it doesn't seem like its much? I was close to ordering some injectors and decided to lean a different way and I got a Fass lift pump. Right off the bat it took a little longer then expected for the fass system to prime up, and whenever its running without the engine on it sounds like its surging. I did find some leaks right off the bat after getting it installed I fixed them, then today found a leak on the lift pump fixed that. The lift pump appears to be ok but last night when I got fuel I went to dump in some stanadyne and either water vapor or smoke was coming out of the filler neck. Today when i was fixing the leak on the pump i disconnected the line real quick lost a couple quarts of fuel into a pan and sealed it back up, when i looked at the pan i saw tiny metal shavings in the pan and i believe they came from the fuel that had drained out... could this be the fass pump? Does fuel actually run through the motor? Ontop of all this after getting the fass pump installed it was starting up much better for a bit now it seems like its starting to have a hard time again. Ive tried to bleed it before starting and various things and still seems to be the same. Any advice on what to do next? There is no white smoke, i know i had an air issue before the fass pump and still possibly might have a leak somewhere. My buddy has an 02 lb7 with compound turbos fully built and all that and has a snap on computer I don't have any injector codes or anything just egr code and glow plug codes. I also disconnected the vacuum line for the egr, hopefully thats a legitimate thing to do. He also ran a test on his computer for the injectors and he says they are fine, but i know that something is up. Another thing I forgot to add I also notice that at 1500 rpm in park the engine will shake. Also the reason for posting this all together which I forgot to mention was originally before the lift pump the injectors sounded abnormally loud in my opinion but only sometimes, now that I have the lift pump it seems as if that noise has gone away. But one thing it has done all along that I can't figure out is sometimes under acceleration up in the higher rpms it sounds normal then all of a sudden it seems as if something cuts out and it almost goes partially quiet for a second then kicks back in. Sorry for the life story:D

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2015
Just an update, been unsure of injectors since before the first post then had some friends with lb7s saying I'm good so I felt like all was going well. Drove it to breakfast one morning then out for some errands came home, went to leave again and it wouldn't start. I tried to bleed it and prime it, had someone crank it while priming finally got it started. Went out to run more errands and saw the oil pressure looked even lower then the first time I saw it acting funny so I kept a real close eye on it while continuing to drive then she died in an intersection and would not restart. The whole situation is strange because it was running great up until it just died. So far all I've really done to check things is removed the glow plugs on the passenger side unplugged the FICM had my wife try to crank it saw no mist out of the glow plug holes. Tomorrow I'm going to try the driver side, so either its not getting fuel at all to the injectors, or the passenger side injectors are ok is where I'm at. The other thing I'm a little concerned about is that this is not much time after installing the lift pump so I'm wondering if it could have pulled up garbage from the tank and either clogged the pick up line or clogged the filters. If the driver side glow plugs do not mist tomorrow my next step is to bypass the filter head. My only question so far is when the fuel comes out of the glow plug holes is it very noticeable?

Last edited:

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
You mentioned the metal shavings, is it possible the FASS died? I would bypass it for now to make sure and then re-prime.
Yes the fuel coming out of a glow plug hole will be noticeable.
Are the batteries good? Mine are dying and it takes a little longer to start because of that.
You said it had glow plug codes, did you get this sorted out? And what temperature are you dealing with?

Oct 6, 2015
You mentioned the metal shavings, is it possible the FASS died? I would bypass it for now to make sure and then re-prime.
Yes the fuel coming out of a glow plug hole will be noticeable.
Are the batteries good? Mine are dying and it takes a little longer to start because of that.
You said it had glow plug codes, did you get this sorted out? And what temperature are you dealing with?

Well im almost considering that the shavings in the pan were from something else and already there in the pan. Possibly from the transfercase, but at first I felt like it was the pump when I saw them i didnt really investigate though cause it ran but im gonna bypass the pump today and see what happens. And outside temp? Lowest is like 56 in mornings right now, the glow plug issue i did not sort out. After looking at the ones that are in it they arent going back in ill either get new ones or get the block off kit. Also the batterys are screwed right now because of how much i tried to start it once it died they should be ok though ill keep them on the charger they didnt completely die.

Bigred350x

Aug 6, 2014
I would keep the glow plugs and fix whatever issue you're having with them. They will help with the hard start condition. It may also be your cp3 pump getting weak. Start by replacing the easy stuff - new fuel filters, new glow plugs, check the glow plug relay, get some good batteries. Sure you have good fuel in the tank?

Oct 6, 2015
I would keep the glow plugs and fix whatever issue you're having with them. They will help with the hard start condition. It may also be your cp3 pump getting weak. Start by replacing the easy stuff - new fuel filters, new glow plugs, check the glow plug relay, get some good batteries. Sure you have good fuel in the tank?

Yea I will work with them for now until I get EFI, I believe the fuel is fine.

Heres the update today I finally got a chance to work on it, I disconnected the fass system reinstalled the lines as they were stock. Tried to prime up the system, went to fire it up still nothing. I tried multiple times to bleed it after trying to start it trying to get any remaining air out still no start. So I reconnected the fass system, changed the filters on the fass while reconnecting. I left the fuel filter cracked a little bit turned the ignition on to let it prime and it primed up as it should then I tightened the filter. Tried to start it again, still nothing so I proceeded to bypassing the filter head. I bypassed the filter head and I installed a ball valve ( all i could get at the time) as a method to try and bleed it. I turned the ignition on and slightly opened the valve in effort to bleed it tried to fire it up multiple times and still nothing. I then decided to put the stock tune back on and watch the data on the ppe the demand was 6k or so and the actual was 200psi and did not change as i tried to crank it. I still have not got to removing the driver side glow plugs to see if I have hung injectors on that side but I'm also still in question about the low pressure side of the system. Just a little bit ago I removed the fuel filter filled it up with a little bit of two stroke oil and reinstalled tried to crank it over still nothing. When I changed the filters earlier I was looking at the ones i had taken off and dumping the fuel into a pan and I swear I saw some more little metal shavings. Another thing that is weird is that if I leave the fass running for like 45 seconds without the engine running I can hear something happening inside the tank like a air gurgling noise and this noise showed up after it died and wouldn't start. I was just out tonight working on it let the fass pump run a bit and bled it again tried to start it still nothing, then i took the fuel cap off and there was either water vapor or smoke rolling out again and I know that its coming from the fass I'm just trying to determine whether thats normal or not.. Still got tons more things to test but any advice or direction is greatly appreciated, really seems to me like something still could be up with the fass pump.

Last edited:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Are you actually getting fuel, ive seen fuel tank draw straws crack and cause this before...

Get a 5 gallon bucket, put 1 gallon of diesel in it, run the return hose and pickup in it just like when you do an injector cleaning and see if she fires up...

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2015
I don't think I'd be filling up fuel filters with two stroke engine oil...

Really? I was reading around read someone saying something about filling it with atf.. is it safe to do with atf? I will change the filters again right away for sure.

So I was over there this morning I pulled the lift pump suction line off and stuck it in a 5 gallon can of diesel and it sucked up the diesel no problem and I can still hear the gurgling. So I'm guessing what I'm hearing is the fuel pumped in being returned right to the tank. So most likely this is an injector issue because I'm 99.9% sure theres diesel in the oil would that be safe to assume? I still haven't got to removing the driver side glow plugs its a bitch with the lift and its whole shock bracket deal but I will be on that next. I have videos and pictures of some of the things I will try to upload its always fun to see pictures of what people have done I'm sure haha.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
No. Don't put anything in a fuel filter. I'm not sure why people have this theory where they think a massive dose of oil or atf will help the injectors or fuel pump. If you want put some ashless 2 stroke oil in at each fill up if you so desire. Install it empty and turn the key on and let the fass push the fuel through it.

You also don't need a ball valve or check valve if you bypass the factory filter housing. Just turn the key on and let the fass run. It will push all the air out of the lines.

MechanicalReign

Mar 8, 2012
Ohio
Are you actually getting fuel, ive seen fuel tank draw straws crack and cause this before...

Get a 5 gallon bucket, put 1 gallon of diesel in it, run the return hose and pickup in it just like when you do an injector cleaning and see if she fires up...

I would give this a go. If it runs. might be time to get an sump kit

Hell might want to try the feed and return in the jug off the fass pump as another precaution if its the fass or the draw straw :hmm::thinking:

Oct 6, 2015
I would give this a go. If it runs. might be time to get an sump kit

Hell might want to try the feed and return in the jug off the fass pump as another precaution if its the fass or the draw straw :hmm::thinking:

I did this to some extent It gave me some results to some extent correct me if Im wrong but I took the suction line from the fass and stuck it in 5 gallons of diesel it had no problem priming up sucked the fuel right up but I still heard the air noise in the tank its as if the fuel is going straight to the engine back to the tank...:confused:

I was just working on it again and I got all glow plugs pulled out had the FICM unplugged went to crank it got no fuel out of any of the holes so now I'm really confused. Im thinking FPR or FPRV? Im going to try unplugging the FPR next they say it should just max out the pressure? I have a video of the noise coming from the tank could the FPRV or FPR cause it to just die and not start again?

The video needs to process still so may not work right away but should be up soon here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjlLBh6cYvs&feature=youtu.be

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Put a return line in the bucket too so you can watch it and not guess.

And check return rates

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Oct 6, 2015
How low?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

its a little exaggerated in this picture due to the angle but it was a little under a quarter I have a video I shot driving it with the oil pressure down like that very shortly before it died ill post it up in a bit

Oct 6, 2015
Should the vacuum port at the front of the engine be under a descent amount of pressure i was leaving for work in the morning I had read last night about the vacuum port and being able to to bleed the system there as well and turned the fass pump on and tried to bleed it for the first time ever and fuel was just like trickling out

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2015
I have some interesting information to add, came home today reinstalled all the glow plugs. I disconnected the fuel pressure regulator, then i turned the ignition on had the fass pump running and i bled the system from the vacuum port I help it down for a while and it took a few seconds then it blasted all the two stroke oil I had put in the filter and what looked like some gross fuel then came clean diesel. I got it ready to fire up hooked up the ppe and I was watching the demand vs actual psi with the engine spinning how it should be I was able to make 1400-1450 psi I tried to start it again and the batterys acted up and it went back to saying 220psi so I'm not sure whether before I had tried and got the reading of 220psi while the batteries were low or whether I actually got the pressure because I unplugged the FPR but either way it made what it should to start. So now Im guessing that fuel is not even making it to the injectors? I haven't checked the fuses yet for the injection I just learned about them before posting this I'm going to go check them shortly.