Front end noises

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So, I recently changed my hubs out to Kryptonite hubs(Timken) (like 2k ago) due to having play in my old set. I replaced the wheels and tires like 500 miles ago and now I'm hearing what sounds like torched Bilstein shocks( I've read stories about how some people have been having issues with their Bilsteins chirping with upward/downward travel). Additionally, my biggest issue I'm worried about is the dragging/rubbing sound that has gotten louder from the front end(seems to match wheel speed and doesn't matter if I'm turning or going straight). With the front end up and wheels off and rotating sound/feel like they are dragging. Brakes seem disengaged and not even close to wear indicator on pads. I'm starting to think something inside the front diff is bad?? I changed the oil out last summer(still full) and didn't really notice any metal flakes. I did check for play in front hubs and none was to be had...I know it's hard to diag based off this and no audio, but just wondering if yall have any ideas. Thank you as always for ideas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
On edit, I also don't see any problems with CVs from inspecting them, granted I didn't pull them off. Boots look good and no grease is coming out.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Have you done anything else to the front end? Upper or lower control arms? How’s the alignment? I had a growl in my front end that was speed related and kept getting louder. I replaced the hubs and still there. I swapped out the half shafts with my Dad’s and still no change. That’s when I noticed the inside of the driver side tire wearing very badly. I replaced my shocks and the jounce bumpers and no more bad wear on the front tires. And no more growl with a tire rotation.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Have you done anything else to the front end? Upper or lower control arms? How’s the alignment? I had a growl in my front end that was speed related and kept getting louder. I replaced the hubs and still there. I swapped out the half shafts with my Dad’s and still no change. That’s when I noticed the inside of the driver side tire wearing very badly. I replaced my shocks and the jounce bumpers and no more bad wear on the front tires. And no more growl with a tire rotation.
Yes, I have the Kryptonite Stage 3 Ultimate Front End package and their leveling kit as well. All tierods were recently replaced with larger 7/8" set and truck was aligned. Nothing to report as far as crazy cupping or anything on the new tires. I haven't touched the LCA, but UCA are Kryptonite and ball joints are in great shape

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Update:
After my drive home, I'm going to investigate my brakes a little more. I rolled the windows down all the way and listened intently and when I barely touched the brakes the noise would fade away and when I let off, the noise comes back. I'll double check for rocks or debris stuck between the dust shield and rotor. I'm hoping it isn't a caliper job(maybe the piston is sticking??). We shall see.

scramHD

Aug 24, 2008
Tx / MS / AL / MEX / FL
See if the noise goes away if you put your foot behind the brake pedal and "pull" pedal up and off the switch. Theres a TSB for this....to replace the switch and spring or related parts....

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
See if the noise goes away if you put your foot behind the brake pedal and "pull" pedal up and off the switch. Theres a TSB for this....to replace the switch and spring or related parts....
I feel kinda dumb when I found out what it was. Had a buddy go for a ride with me so he could listen more intently on that side with the window down and the noise was coming from my right rear brake assembly. The caliper was stuck pushing what was left of the pad into the rotor. I had just checked the pads/rotors a few thousand miles ago when I put the SS braided lines on and it was all good then( or so I thought). Well, the rear caliper guide pins were DRY as a bone with zero lube and the caliper bracket didn't allow for the brakes pads to shift and everything was horribly frozen in place. Needless to say, I paid for that one. You live and learn. I will definitely be checking my brakes more thoroughly from now on.