Front axle actuator

Mechinfoplease

Dec 29, 2020
Just been racking my head on issues with my 4 wheel drive. Noticed a humming noise recently when doing highway speeds, correct me if I'm wrong but with a mechanical t-case shifter for 4x4 should your front driveshaft still be spinning when in 2 wheel drive ? . Put my trucks t-case in neutral and when I rotate the front tires it still spins the front drive shaft. Is normal? I'm used to older trucks with manual locking hubs so working out the kinks. Wondering if the actuator has anything to do with locking in the front differential.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Should not be spinning the shaft when in 2wd or N like you stated. Sounds like the actuator is stuck or has a bad ground

Mechinfoplease

Dec 29, 2020
Should not be spinning the shaft when in 2wd or N like you stated. Sounds like the actuator is stuck or has a bad ground
Ugh was hoping that wasn't the case. I replaced the actuator today and still stuck, fuse is fine as well. So must be a ground some place >_<

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'd also be looking at the transfer case too. Might be stuck in 4h. If you disconnect one of the u joints, you can tell which one is holding it up

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
Check for codes, if you haven't already. There may be codes from the 4x4 system even if the check engine light isn't on.

Mechinfoplease

Dec 29, 2020
When I shift into 4 I get power to the front differential as it should be but when I shift into 2 wheel drive I lose power to the front but my front drive shaft still spins, even if the transfer case is in neutral I rotate the front tires and and front drive shaft still spins that's why I figured it had to do something with the front axle. I also just had the front axle on the passenger side replaced 2 months ago, and other than the actuator having a bad ground and being stuck could have the shop that installed the stub axle back in, done something incorrectly that would cause it to be stuck engaged ?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I guess that means the front is still locked up. May have to check out the coupler and see if it is jammed