Frame stretching

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
Currently run an ecsb truck and would like to make it a eclb truck to gain wheelbase, how many of you all have lengthened the frames and not had issues? I know of a lot of Dodge guys that have done this, but don’t see many Chevy guys do it. At the same time we would box the frame along with draw bar hitch, and putting the rear axle in solid. Truck would be built around the Lucas Oil PPL 2.6 rules.

cntry125

Gearhead
Sep 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Why not just find an eclb truck/frame if your gonna leave at a stock wheel base? If you bought a rot body, with a decent drive train you could prolly come out even or slightly ahead by striping it and selling the drive train, depending on area and or how soon you wanted it gone. I know eclb around me seem to go super cheap

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
I have an ecsb parts truck, cab is rust free that I don’t mind chopping up. Yeah other option is to find an eclb frame and then go from there with the build and put my cab on it.

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
You could talk to mike Bodine, Colbi Seth’s truck is mikes truck he stretched out. He made templates and did it himself. Pm me for his number if interested

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Just roll the axle back to your desired wheelbase, then weld it all up. You could lose a lot of weight by fabbing your own rails and keeping them to a minimum just enough to meet the rules. Depending on your hitch location/design you may not need to lengthen the rails at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
Just roll the axle back to your desired wheelbase, then weld it all up. You could lose a lot of weight by fabbing your own rails and keeping them to a minimum just enough to meet the rules. Depending on your hitch location/design you may not need to lengthen the rails at all.

Yeah very true! Was kind of my thinking also would be able to shed some weight on the rear to move to the front. Only thing of not really extending the frame would be how to run the adjuster of the draw bar hitch.

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
Found a 2013 eclb 2500 6.0 gas truck pretty cheap instead of stretching my 2002 parts truck, are the nbs trucks frames better to build off of? Or the other question is are the gas truck frames the same as the diesel? Either way I go I think I will run a stand-alone wire harness.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
The frame should be identical between the two engines. The new style is boxed the entire length. Assuming it is stronger, I would be tempted to minimize the trussing. Your call, lay under both and get an idea.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I'd be wonder how much heavier the newer boxed frame is? I think my 13 dually was quite a bit heavier than my 08. But if you minimized truss bracing you might be able to end up the same in the end.

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
Keep us updated. My favorite part of pullers is the chassis fab. I was just daydreaming earlier about what to do next myself....

Will do! It will be a learning curve for me coming from really just running “workstock” set ups. I have a 3.0 Dodge puller that is local and going to help with driveline set up, but still might be asking some questions along with brainstorming to you experienced guys!

Briggs0130

Dec 7, 2010
Keep us updated. My favorite part of pullers is the chassis fab. I was just daydreaming earlier about what to do next myself....

Time to build another one!!! :woott: