Flywheel Tool Needed ??

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
I'm getting ready to put a water pump on my LB7 6spd . Do you zf6 guys recommend getting a flywheel/flexplate tool or does throwing the wife in the cab holding the brakes in first gear work fine for getting the harmonic balancer off ?

If the tool is recommended , is it the same tool as the Allison ?

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Believe it or not, leaving it in gear and attempting to loosen the balancer bolt will not cause the truck to move, it just spins the engine over. Its not the same tool as an allison. For the zf's, you remove the starter then a special bracket bolts in place where the starter does and has teeth to hold the flexplate.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
In any case, I'm pretty sure you want it in high gear if you want leverage?

doesn't matter what gear your in, if he tries loosening the balancer bolt the engine will spin. you would think being a clutch in gear would lock it but nope.

iv heard of a few people putting breaker bars on the crank bolt and bumping the engine but id never consider that

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
i just put a long ratchet with a pipe over the end to the ground on the drivers side and got in the truck and bumped the key. loosened it right up, and i had my girlfriend put it in gear and hold the brake down to torqe it and it worked just fine.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Believe it or not, leaving it in gear and attempting to loosen the balancer bolt will not cause the truck to move, it just spins the engine over. Its not the same tool as an allison. For the zf's, you remove the starter then a special bracket bolts in place where the starter does and has teeth to hold the flexplate.

If you hold the flex plate or flywheel with a "special tool" that'll work. Puting the truck in low gear with your bad girl on the brakes will give you the same end result + you had some quality bonding time with the gf in the garage.

In any case, I'm pretty sure you want it in high gear if you want leverage?

Lower gear more resistance. Just like if you were trying to push the truck while it was in gear. It's easier to move in OD vs. granny low.

Edit-I'm an idiot high gear is mo betta.

Last edited:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I put mine in 6th while someone held the brakes. Worked great. The engine does spin over a little bit but eventually all the drive line slack will get taken up and you can put the torque to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I put mine in 6th while someone held the brakes. Worked great. The engine does spin over a little bit but eventually all the drive line slack will get taken up and you can put the torque to it.

Muff you have it somewhat backwards. It is easier for the tires to turn the engine over in high gear, when push starting for example. But it is easier for the engine to turn the tires in low. So if the tranny is low it will be easier for the truck to move when turning the balancer bolt than it would be if it were in OD. Not saying it won't work using low gear but it'll take more brake pressure than using high. I've done a few balancer bolts in manual tranny vehicles this way and always use high gear and the e-brake so I don't need any help.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
That's not the first time I've been backwards and I sure as hell know it won't be the last! Thanks for turning me around :D

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I got a long screwdriver through the inspection hole and got it to lock the flywheel by binding it up. My clutch slipped when I tried leaving it in gear.

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
Thanks for all the advice hopefully I can get started on it in a couple days ( depending on work ) .

Once again this forum saved me some time I'm sure .:thumb:

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I got to the point I had to take mine off and had the Allison tool:mad:
I posted that the tools arent the same in the water pump thread on here but at the very end of the thread