Fixing my LBZ/ truck build

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Never though it was worth making a Build thread, since my truck ain’t nothing special like some of y’alls. But it’s nice to have somewhere to put the stuff I’ve done that I’m sure I will forget about. I’m in the the middle of a little refresh. Blown HGs, questionable injectors, massive leaks in the steering and front diff.

I’ll post some past stuff at some point, but today I painted new 100overs and hold downs. I didn’t have as much primer as I though, so the rest will have to wait. Got my fuel hose and thread chasers today, so probably start getting some of this back together soon.

d1d6c62d2451a9f1dc654b36633750d7.jpg

Valve covers painted an put together.
3c68c232b6688fc270e45036ad8afb50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gmduramax

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Are those valve covers painted color "aluminum"?

Duplicolor Engine ceramic
New Ford Gray

I was looking for more of an aluminum/light silver, but this was the best they had at the store I went to. I want more of a “stock” look, but I do like it.

If you buy some save your receipt. The 2 cans of Black I got came out a little gray and dull. I got 2 new cans from a different store and they where fine. Because of that though the fuel lines and Hotside pipe paint might fail. I probably put 4 coats on thinking it just wasn’t covering up the primer before I realized something was wrong. So they kind of look like trash up close. The 2 new cans look great as you can see in the injector pics.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
b03432a47c8433513a732bb39856c94a.jpg

I was checking things over before putting the heads on my truck and saw some brown build up on the cam. It’s probably nothing, but I thought I would check. It’s at the very front of the engine looking down besides the pushrod and was the only spot I saw. Sorry the pic isn’t the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Why would you paint the injectors? Not knocking it, just genuinely curious.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Because they're bare metal and rust instantly.
Even in the oil environment under the valve covers? I recall the old injectors I pulled out being grimey, but I don't recall rust. Maybe that's the (one) perk of being in California?

I guess I'd just be worried that somehow overspray or a flake of paint could make it somewhere it's not supposed to be... but I guess the same risk is there with rust :confused:

What I did rust though is the outside of the distribution fuel lines/rails, I guess I cleaned them too well.

Either way, those valve covers look great and I wish I had painted mine.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
b03432a47c8433513a732bb39856c94a.jpg

I was checking things over before putting the heads on my truck and saw some brown build up on the cam. It’s probably nothing, but I thought I would check. It’s at the very front of the engine looking down besides the pushrod and was the only spot I saw. Sorry the pic isn’t the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i wouldnt fret it. little bit of "stiction" or older oil left on it

Even in the oil environment under the valve covers? I recall the old injectors I pulled out being grimey, but I don't recall rust. Maybe that's the (one) perk of being in California?

I guess I'd just be worried that somehow overspray or a flake of paint could make it somewhere it's not supposed to be... but I guess the same risk is there with rust :confused:

What I did rust though is the outside of the distribution fuel lines/rails, I guess I cleaned them too well.

Either way, those valve covers look great and I wish I had painted mine.

your LB7 will have the injectors under the valve cover. 04.5 and up are all external to the valve cover and will rust even if you are not in a rust belt.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ya only the LB7 injectors are in the valve covers. All the rest surface rust really bad. I almost didn’t paint them, but I knew I could keep the paint off the important parts. Plus they are brand new and I would kick myself when they started to rust.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Ya only the LB7 injectors are in the valve covers. All the rest surface rust really bad. I almost didn’t paint them, but I knew I could keep the paint off the important parts. Plus they are brand new and I would kick myself when they started to rust.

I read the title to the thread as LB7 several times :rolleyes:

Also didn't put two and two together when I saw the valve covers

Carry on :eek:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Heads torqued down. Boy I was nervous about setting them in there myself without scratching the surface or damaging the gaskets. It was cake. Got to love those “junk” aluminum heads on Duramaxs...lol Going work on getting the engine buttoned up this weekend and then wiring harnesses. I going to replace all the damaged split loom.
66439c15b4f963461988d60a3f629c7a.jpg

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
After my damper fiasco I did manage to get the rest of my painting done. Really happy with the alternator considering I didn’t take it apart.

fba77654b98667fc980ffc82343dbc60.jpg